What defines who can do PEW

Broken in to two sub forums
gregmcc
Site Admin

What defines who can do PEW

Post by gregmcc »

I have been asked this by someone who works for a network company.

Some facts before I ask the question.

Facts:-
1) This is works not installation
2) Person X in question does not have an electrical background or any formal qualifications in the electrical area.
3) Person X has been deemed "competent" by the network company.
4) Network company or employer does not hold an employer license.
5) Person X has been issued full PPE including flash shield and LV Gloves and instructed on their use.

Questions:-
Person X has been given a network company key so the can open up LV network pillars/transformers - Does the key qualify as a tool?

Is person X doing PEW by opening up the network pillar/Transformer which will only have single insulation? keep in mind some pillars are in really good condition, some have no form of primary insulation (bare busbars & open fuse holders) and date back to the late 60's early 70's and are a potential death trap.

Person X does not do any work inside the pillars except taking photos and notes of condition/layout.

Opinions welcome for and against but ideally what I am looking for is supporting references to the Act or ESR's either way.
JamieP

Re: What defines who can do PEW

Post by JamieP »

Opening a cabinet, even with a tool or not is not PEW. Can't see anything in Schedule 1 of ESRS that would make it so.

I'd say they are fine as they are not doing PEW and are also taking the appropriate precautions.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Firstly, yes a key counts as a tool.
Not that it matters, because 1.5.4.4 (b) uses both terms

Where the cabinet is a required item, eg is a barrier / enclosure used to meet requirement for basic protection [1.5.4.4];
then removing that protection must be surely be regarded as adversely affecting the safety of the equipment,
for as long as the lid is off / door is open.
Installation of such an enclosure is certainly PEW.

Whether opening a lid / door / cover amounts to PEW may be open to argument.
PEW is defined in S. 2 of Act as work prescribed as such in Regulations,
and can include (d) design, construction, or maintenance of works.

While Clause 1 of Schedule 1 lists activities that are PEW (unless described in Clause 2), it is not an exclusive list.
For example; it does not say that "only" the listed activities can be PEW.
But given the underlying definition, anything that isn't clearly listed in ESRs as being PEW must be regarded as not PEW.

Just observing what's inside a cabinet isn't PEW.
EWRB decision a while back was that assessing for WoEF was 'maintenance'; therefore PEW.
In my view, they were (and remain) wrong.
It's not maintenance, is just assessment.
The fact that a PL is required is just because ESR 78 says so, not because it's PEW.
Same applies to PA under ESR 75 of caravan parks, marinas, & construction / demolition.
Noting that PA of shows / carnivals, hazardous areas, and electro-medical does not require any PL.

Assessing whether remedial action may be required isn't design, nor installation, nor connection.
And it doesn't fit within any normal definition of maintenance.
EWRB only made that interpretation so they would have jurisdiction against Inspectors who don't do a proper set of checks & tests; because they can't take action against anyone who's not doing PEW.

Placing fuses is not PEW, as per clause 2
It follows that taking test readings (eg voltage, current, etc) also isn't PEW.
So as long as the cover goes back on, and no permanent change is made to the works, then not PEW

And if not PEW, then PL / EL isn't an issue.
Satobsat

Post by Satobsat »

Does anyone have any tips for dealing with painters that are allowed screwdrivers?
Arrived at a job to do my fit off only to discover the painters had a screw driver and had unscrewed all the sockets and switches in the rest of the house, away from where I have been working, leaving exposed live parts.
After finishing painting they had clearly lost most of the screws and the screw driver as they put none of it back.
The home owner wasn't impressed when I told her how easy it would be to get a shock.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Most likely people to get a shock would be the painters (or paperers).
It's called Karma.

Seriously; I'd rather they painted / papered behind the wall-plates than not,
and this is work that a homeowner can do.
In fact it may not actually be PEW; though I (firmly) believe it is.

But safety requires isolating at switchboard,
and common sense requires re-instating afterwards.

Maybe suggest to the homeowner to deduct something from their bill to cover cost of re-instatement?