Bench top deep fryer repair

Connection and Repair
JamieP
Answers: 0

Bench top deep fryer repair

Post by JamieP »

I don't deal a lot with appliance repairs and have someone after some repairs for a small Bakbar bench top deep fryer in a commercial kitchen

The main issue is that the thermostat has a little button (overload?) that keeps popping out at irregular intervals

The flex and plug top are also damaged

My plan is to swap out the thermostat to a new one and to replace plug and flex

I have selected a rubber plug top and flex that is suitably resistance to the oil he uses (vegetable oil) and plan on using 1.5mm flex and a 15A plug top, this is what the existing unit has

Any other hints/tips/input? Am I doing the right thing by just replacing the thermostat or should I be looking more at what's causing it first?

Thanks in advance
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Bench top deep fryer repair

Post by AlecK »

The button is more likely a safety over-temp than an overload.
You need to establish whether it's operating below its set point; or whether in fact it's just doing its job by operating when the fryer gets to an unsafe temp.
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Yeah I've just found out the actually have two devices in them, one for over temp cut out and one the actual thermostat. I actually get to have a look at the at the unit tomorrow but just trying to go in prepared since it's not something I've had a lot of work with.

Thanks Alec
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

I believe safety stats are now a requirement in the product Standards for all fryers; though some older units don't have them.

Some insurers require fryers (in commercial kitchens) to have the safety 'stat operation checked periodically.
Which means by-passing the operating t'stat, and running the fat / oil up to the safety limit while constantly monitoring the temp
The set point of the safety 'stat should be well below the temp at which the fat/ oil will ignite (not always a precisely known value).
Of course of the safety 'stat fails; things can get exciting.
freykarts
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by freykarts »

Thank you so much I learned somethin..