Oven install

Connection and Repair
WhyEr
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

Oven install

Post by WhyEr »

Hi guys - so glad there is now a new forum, I had been missing the old one!

Long story short I have a client who purchased a freestanding oven from trademe - the seller also installed it.

Turns out the guy wasn’t licensed (he f’d it up & appliance kept blowing the fuse to the point it now doesn’t operate properly) & now the EWRB have gotten involved.

Current setup is 6mm t+e from board to the oven switch, 27A fuse, 2.5 or possibly 4mm from switch to oven. Isolating switch is directly behind stove as per standard 1960s house setup. Hardwired.

Because EWRB are involved I quoted for the works, new mcb, new oven switch albeit same position, upgrade undersized cable from switch to oven, oven plug & socket installed.

My question is technically can I get away with like for like here - meaning current setup including hardwiring is ok.
At a minimum I’m replacing the old mcb to a new one & upgrading the undersized cable from switch to oven. I assume this will prob trigger the need to do a socket etc too.

Opinions?
WhyEr
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Oven install

Post by WhyEr »

Like for like as it complied when was originally installed - assuming for arguments sake it was a 32A fuse & 6mm the entire length of the run.
DougP
Answers: 3

Re: Oven install

Post by DougP »

The 2000 version of 3000 was the first time that there was a note regarding reaching across the open surface to operate the switch. Being a note, it is only advice. The clause is basically the same in the current 2007A2 version. 3000:2018 is the first time there is now a restricted location of the switch, being on a wall within 150mm of the side of the appliance.

If the cable to the oven is 4mm2, that is fine for 32A rating. The Clipsal plug and flex set that is often used is only 4mm2.

And yes the work you are doing is repairs/replacement, so it doesn't need to meet the current standard of connecting with a socket outlet and plug.