SDOC for modification of appliance

Connection and Repair
downtoearth
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

SDOC for modification of appliance

Post by downtoearth »

Hi all,

I've been asked to install a DOL START/STOP/O/L with power supply via a lead on a compressor for a client. On completion of this job they're requesting a SDOC for these works. The unit currently comes with an SDOC and am wondering about the following:

-Electrical portion of SDOC is no longer valid seeing as we have modified the product.
-Does it require some sort of certification once we have modified this appliance? I would assume a ESC would suffice as long as we outlined it has been modified in accordance with appropriate regs ?
DougP
Answers: 3

Re: SDOC for modification of appliance

Post by DougP »

A compressor is not a medium or high risk product so an SDoC isn't required. And even if it was, the SDoC is only required if the product is going to be sold. Is the client intending on selling the compressor?

As for certifying the work on the appliance, COCs or ESCs only apply to work on installations, or connecting appliances to installation wiring. They don't apply to electrical work on appliances.

Testing and tagging to 5762 is probably the best option.
downtoearth
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by downtoearth »

Thanks Doug, yes this item will be sold by our client via their business. Looks like the standard is for 2nd hand items, maybe I should do the 3760?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Test to "5762", not "3760".
"3760" is for equipment that's in service - and this item isn't in service, it's awaiting sale.
"5762" is for appliances that have been repaired, and closely similar "5761" is for 2nd-hand appliances for sale

In fact "5762" & "5761" both use the testing from "3760"; plus some particular inspection aspects for particular types of equipment.
The other main change is that a different form of label is specified
(I had some made fairly cheaply, with tick-boxes for both "5762" & "5761")
- though only the inspection & testing is mandated by ESR 90, the label is optional

Even if an SDoC was required, you couldn't issue one.
SDoCs must be issued by the importer / manufacturer.
And they also have to point to a formal report by a testing lab that shows compliance with the Standards as claimed in the SDoC.

You're right that altering any equipment renders any SDoC issued previously invalid.