Old shaver outlet replacement

Connection and Repair
JamieP

Old shaver outlet replacement

Post by JamieP »

I've been asked a few times lately about whether I can swap these out for a standard socket outlet which got me thinking, is it acceptable to do so under ESR 59 (3) b because they are both socket outlets? Or must I comply with 59 (3) a and bring to current rules? Just wondering my obligations around the cable being of a small size and often on a low protective device due to often being with lighting, can I apply 3.5.1 Exception 1?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Old shaver outlet replacement

Post by AlecK »

Is it acceptable to do so under ESR 59 (3) b because they are both socket outlets?

Yes you can potentially apply this; and not restricted to just socket outlets (eg can change a point from socket to PCU and several rules actually relax). "original condition doesn't require everything to remain exactly as it was, but simply means that still compli4es with original requirements in similar way. For a shaver point, that includes that personal protection is in place, (shaver by isolating tx, new socket by RCD)

Or must I comply with 59 (3) a and bring to current rules?

For any maintenance of installations under ESR 59, your choice which of the 3 options to follow.

can I apply 3.5.1 Exception 1?
If following 59 (3) (a); then "Yes"
If following 59(3)(b) ; then "Maybe" - depending on exactly what rules the shaver point was installed under.

The real crux is first: "is it safe?"; followed by "does it comply?".

Noting that as long as what you do doesn't make the installation less safe [ ref: ESR 13]; you're mostly OK.l
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post (total 2):
JamieP (Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:19 pm) • ShaneR (Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:35 pm)
Rating: 33.33%