Large induction hobs

Connection and Repair
DougP
Answers: 3

Large induction hobs

Post by DougP »

Under 3000:2018, which presumably NZ will eventually cite, sections 2, 3 & 4 of the book has a new paragraph at the beginning.
---
Installed in accordance with the requirements of this Section, and the additional requirements as specified in the manufacturer’s instructions.
---

If an induction hob has a rating of 45A for example, are we now required to install a circuit capable of 45A, or are we still allowed to apply diversity, or limitation on the final subcircuit?
C2.5 & C2.5.3 etc
JamieP
Answers: 0

Re: Large induction hobs

Post by JamieP »

Do the MIs specifically say it needs a circuit to cover full load?

Or are the MIs just saying that the full load is 45A and not actually indicating any requirements to the installation circuit
DougP
Answers: 3

Post by DougP »

That's my thoughts as well.
But some in the trade think that everything in the MIs override 3000.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

if the MIs just state a load current, then we can still apply diversity to FLC.
But if MIs specify a cable size or circuit rating, then that would be the minimum; and the 2018 edition will require us to comply.

Which can be a problem if the MIs are written for US market; where V is 110 & A for any given W is correspondingly higher .

Also bear in mind what ESR 14A says about requirements for MIs.
Effect is that MIs can over-spec; but are unlawful if they under-spec .

We can rely on them "in good faith"; but if we do we would certainly be "using" them - and therefore have to attach them to CoC

If you follow good trade practice ; you're unlikely to ever be held to task over a technical non-compliance with MIs;
which will mostly have been lost long before anything happens.
So personally I think I'll continue to ignore parts of MIs that are clearly wrong in NZ context.