Resale of used light fittings

Connection and Repair
ZL2AJ
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

Resale of used light fittings

Post by ZL2AJ »

From one of my course attendies - looking for guidance on the resale of used light fittings

Further to our discussion last Saturday.
I would like to take your offer of accessing the Electrical Forum website to find out what certification/testing is required on USED FIXED electrical fittings/equipment, prior to RESALE. Eg Wall lights, pendant fittings, etc.

The fittings could be of any age. Does S.DOC come into the equation?

I do spend some of my time checking appliances for resale for the local Hospice shop and the above type of items are often donated and I can find no reference as to what testing/certification is before they can be SOLD. They generally refer back to test and tag requirements which do not fit to fixed wired things.

Thanks for listening to my babble hope you are able to assist.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Resale of used light fittings

Post by AlecK »

Bottom line is such equipment must be safe.
ESR 80 sets the requirement; and also provides a pathway to achieving "electrically safe" for used appliances
typically via "5761".

Note that the tag specified is different from the normal tags specified by "3760" for in-service testing;
and that it isn't mandatory, so you don't need to disfigure the item in question.

The question of whether SDoCs & Approvals is a bit tricky.
A parallel question arises when fittings are sold as part of an installation.
Eg sale of house / other building / caravan.

On one hand, ESR 83 & 84 appear to require them for items that are DMRAs and/or DHRAs.
On the other hand, ESR 113 covers anything that was around before 1 April 2010,
and allows not only continued use but also sale & installation.

My interpretation is that technically for used DMRAs & DHRAs younger than 1 April 2010; SDoCs / Approvals are required to exist;
but - as always - this is a matter for the seller rather than anyone else.

However auctioneers & 2nd-hand traders have been flogging electrical items for years;
generally without any regard to safety-of-item let alone compliance-of-paperwork.
And there's been little if any enforcement or education from ES.
It seems clear that a hospice shop that engages someone to check electrical items is unlikely to get into trouble;
let alone the person doing the checking - as long as they act professionally.

It would be very unwise to let any items prohibited under ESR 87 (or earlier equivalent rules) be sold.
And "5761" lists some classes of items that can't be classified "safe to sell".
ZL2AJ
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ZL2AJ »

Thanks.

Yep agree with appliances 5761 etc - wasn't sure re light fittings as they generally aren't appliances - but I suspect that using the intent of 5761 would probably get you there.

Thanks for the clarification as always :)
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

"appliance" is a term that causes a lot of problems with interpretation.
Largely because for our trade it's a defined term with a particular meaning;
whereas the same word in common usage means something different, generally but not exclusively something that is plugged in.

The definition in the Act is very broad; but my interpretation is that it doesn't exclude a luminaire.
(The definition of "3000" excludes lamps; but because there's a different definition in our Act / ESRs; the one in "3000" is over-ridden in NZ for purposes of ESRs)

An "appliance" in ESRs is an "electrical appliance" as defined in the Act .
That says it's an appliance that uses electricity ( and may also use other forms of energy).
"Using" electricity has to be a distinction from things that merely carry electricity; like conductors, accessories, etc.
But what's an "appliance"
Following ESR 4(1) just takes us around in a circle; by referring back to "electrical appliance" in the Act.
So we need to find another path.

ESR 4(3) tells us how to deal with terms not defined in either Act or ESRs; one option being (for installations) definitions in "3000"
So we have to look at definition of "electrical installation" in the Act; which specifically excludes electrical appliances.
Therefore appliances may be connected to, but are not part of, an electrical installation.
(Different for a "connectable installation"; which does include appliances)
This also has the effect of taking us back to the definition of "electrical appliance "in "3000"; but only for where the term is used WRT an installation.

The other path via ESR 4(3) ESR 4(3) is the meaning given in IEC 60050; but I can't find one there.

So, having exhausted the possibilities for specially defined terms used in ESRs; the word should carry the ordinary dictionary meaning.
Concise Oxford: device designed to perform a specific task.

So my interpretation is an electrical appliance is anything that "uses" electricity to perform its specific task(s).
A luminaire uses electricity to provide illumination, so it's an appliance for purposes of ESRs.
For purposes of"3000", only the lamps are excluded - so could be an appliance.
Lampholders are "accessories"; but a luminaire is excluded from that definition.

Sometimes this stuff just makes your head spin; but it may help to consider other items that would normally be directly connected rather than plugged in.
Eg a wall heater - I doubt there'd be anyone who'd argue it isn't an appliance.
The presence or absence of a flexible lead isn't relevant to these definitions.
Though it may affect how we can apply the testing requirements of "3760"; which "5761" directs us to use.

-------------------
I said earlier that the tag isn't needed for "5761".
Not strictly true; both "pass" & "fail" tags are required by the Standard.
So without the tag you can't get the "deemed electrically safe" promised by ESR 80(3)(a).
But that doesn't mean the item can't be electrically safe without a tag
So for appliance without leads I only use them when if there's somewhere inconspicuous to place them.