Used appliances - how to cover yourself?

Connection and Repair
JamieP

Used appliances - how to cover yourself?

Post by JamieP »

In regards to used appliances, when a customer asks for a 2nd hand or similar appliance to be installed, what must or can we do to ensure the appliances is electrically safe, more so when the appliance isn't connected via or doesn't come with a plug on it?

I've had a look through ESRs (mainly 26, 80, 90) and the standards they reference and seems everything I've seen either talks about what to do in regards to when being sold or offered for sale, rented etcetc or what to do for appliances with flexible cords and plugs attached

Am I missing something or is there no direct guidance? And basically all fall down to your own jurisdictions if it is or isn't fit for connection?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Used appliances - how to cover yourself?

Post by AlecK »

ESR 80(3) provides a pathway to "deemed safe" for used appliances.
True it's tagged "for purposes of this regulation"; so technically can be relied on for sale / supply; but not necessarily for simply installing.
But it's the best you'll find.
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Yeah, also thought that was the best path also despite the "when sold or offered for sale"

I went on to look at 5761 but 2.4.1 talked a lot about plugs but I wasn't sure if this meant it had to have one or simply if it had one it had to conform etcetc
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Scope of "5761" is not restricted to plug-in only.
However it is restricted to "household & similar" appliances.

2.4.1(e) lists "fitted with a plug conforming to AS/NZS 3112" as one of the steps to be undertaken "prior to sale".
This is unclear; because it's not a complete sentence.
It seems to say that a plug must be fitted.
The other interpretation is that 2.4.1 (e) is more about it NOT having a different kind of plug.

Either way; it doesn't stop us from doing all the tests specified in following clause despite a plug not being fitted.
And no-one in their right mind could declare that an appliance intended to be directly-connected is not safe solely because a plug isn't fitted.

So while this path doesn't provide absolute bum-cover for installers; it's as good as you'll get.
Absolute bum-cover is not something we can expect.
After all; we're supposed to be well-trained professionals capable of exercising judgement.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
JamieP (Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:22 pm)
Rating: 16.67%