IEC14 to three pin socket lead

Connection and Repair
Bilby42
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

IEC14 to three pin socket lead

Post by Bilby42 »

Just after a reality check here;

I'm installing a power distribution unit for an IT installation. The power distribution unit has eight remotely switched C13 output panel sockets which are protected via a 10A circuit breaker internal to the distribution unit.

I ordered a batch of 1 meter extension cables with C14 plugs to standard three pin NZ mains sockets (type I). These leads came from a reputable supplier, so I was surprised to find the cable used was 0.75mm PVC. Referring to AS3008.1.2 table 16 verifies this is 7.5A cable.

While the IT equipment connected to these extension cables will normally be load limited to less than 10A, I'm still inclined to reject these extension cables as non-compliant.

Am I missing something obvious here?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: IEC14 to three pin socket lead

Post by AlecK »

I presume by "IT" you mean information technology rather than an IT earthing system.
(Not that it affects the ratings).

Whole noting that "3008.1" series is for conductors used in installations, and your application isn't part of an electrical installation; the CCC ratings will still be valid for your application.

I believe the ext cords you have been supplied with are electrically unsafe; as they can have more load plugged into them than the rating of the conductors.
Same as adaptor sets that have eg 10A plug and 16A connector, just that in this case the limiting factor is the rating of the flex rather than the plug.
Bilby42
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: IEC14 to three pin socket lead

Post by Bilby42 »

Thanks Alex, my thoughts exactly. Disappointed with the supplier, as they are reputable and should have known better.