Permanently Connected

Connection and Repair
JamieP

Permanently Connected

Post by JamieP »

I understand direct connection is classified as permanent connected and socket outlet is not but is there a situation when a socket outlet becomes classified as a permanent connection? Eg if it's installed in an inaccessible space for a fixed or stationary appliance? Or if it's just in any location not readily accessable? Etcetc

What got me thinking was how 4.9 says "permanently connected room heater" and usually a socket outlet would mean that these requirements didn't apply but if the socket outlet connection was say, in a roof space or something else similar etc would it still not be deemed a permanent connection?
JamieP

Re: Permanently Connected

Post by JamieP »

Or is it just due to the fact any person can disconnect or reconnect a socket outlet without needing a license as opposed to direct connection
DougP
Answers: 3

Post by DougP »

Maybe need to be more specific Jamie?

Let's say it's a ceiling mounted heater. Permanently installed appliance. But plugged in to a socket outlet in the ceiling. No switching in the supply, just a remote control.

Does this come under 4.9 which says that it only applies to "permanently connected" room heaters?
gregmcc
Site Admin

Post by gregmcc »

I think because there is an exemption for permanently connected that are unlikely to cause an overload on a circuit, such as a range hood on a PCU on the same circuit as the oven, but using a socket is not allowed due to the fact there is nothing stopping anyone from plugging something else in that could overload the circuit and cook the smaller wiring between the socket and where it connects to the bigger wiring for the oven.

At the end of the day a socket is a socket not matter where it is or how accessible it is, another good example is lighting points, although light circuits don't have to be RCD protected as soon as you put a socket in the ceiling for that plug-able in downlight then that circuit has to be RCD protected as it has a socket on it. (in domestic situations).
These users thanked the author gregmcc for the post:
JamieP (Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am)
Rating: 16.67%
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Yeah that's true

I'm more leaning towards my initial thoughts or regardless of where a socket outlet is the connection to the installating wiring is not a permanent connection and any unskilled person may connect or disconnect such item via socket outlet

Where as a permanent connection is not likely to be altered under normal circumstances

Still curious of other opinions thought
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

When dealing with a descriptive phrase such as "permanently connected" you have to focus on what's included and forget about other factors.
If other factors are relevant, they'll be stated separately.
In this case the permanence (or otherwise) relates only to the form of connection: permanently connected = connected by direct connection [4.3.2], but (in my interpretation) not by installation coupler [4.3.2.2] as connection by installation coupler is within the inferred meaning of "permanent".
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
JamieP (Mon May 04, 2020 11:26 am)
Rating: 16.67%