Schneider RCBO Acti9 iC60H, 1P + Ns

This includes types of overcurrent, Short Circuit and RCD protection
PeteRig

Schneider RCBO Acti9 iC60H, 1P + Ns

Post by PeteRig »

Hi All, I have reposted my question from yesterday as I believe there was an issue with the site and my post has dropped off.

https://www.se.com/nz/en/product/A9D118 ... pe-10000a/

My question was regarding these RCBO's and whether they complied to the ESR's as the neutral is not switched.

Alec replied, referring to Reg 24 and Reg 84.

A comment you made Alec which I am unsure what you meant, forgive me if I have the wording incorrect was " unless the RCD's were installed as an optional extra"?

Thanks
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Schneider RCBO Acti9 iC60H, 1P + Ns

Post by AlecK »

Clause (1) of ESR 24 says that
"this regulation applies to any standard low voltage RCD that is used in a situation where it is required, by these regulations or by any standard, to be used."

Not aware of any ESRs that absolutely require an RCD to be used; but at least two (89 & 89A) list RCD as one of the accepted options for complying with the requirement set by that ESR.
So, if that option is chosen, then the RCD is "required to be used"; so must comply with ESR 24.

Plenty of Standards require RCD for particular circumstances; and these are also "required to be used" so also must comply with ESR 24.

But RCD is not required in all cases; and for any case where the RCD is not required; we still have the option of using one anyway.
Such RCDs are not "required to be used"; so ESR 24 does not apply to them.
Meaning we can use one that doesn't meet all the requirements that ESR 24 sets, such as switching all live conductors.
However ALL RCDs are DHRAs , and so need Approval under ESR 84 if being sold / supplied in NZ
(and - as DMRAs also - an SDoC under ESR 83).

For example, we don't have to use an RCD for circuits supplying most directly-connected appliance , not for the appliances themselves.
But we can choose to use an RCD anyway. That's what I referred to as an 'optional extra' RCD - one used when we didn't have to.
ESR 24 does not apply to them - si we can use one like your schneider example.
Since they fit onto existing swbd chassis systems, where 2-pole ones don't; this can be a good way of improving safety without spending too much of the customer's money.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
PeteRig (Fri Apr 05, 2024 1:12 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
PeteRig

Re: Schneider RCBO Acti9 iC60H, 1P + Ns

Post by PeteRig »

Thanks Alec, found the SDoc, so all good