RCD testing - to test? Or not to test? as per ESR24

JamieP

RCD testing - to test? Or not to test? as per ESR24

Post by JamieP »

Now, been covered before but hopefully someone can word things better for me in regards to this

To put simply, I agree ESR24 has nothing to do with testing. ESR63 covers testing and we test as per 3000. Push button test or a specific device but the outcome is to ensure all poles disconnect.

However someone has just pointed out to me (1)(b) of ESR63 and it's kind of thrown a spanner in the works so hopefully someone can clear this up
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: RCD testing - to test? Or not to test? as per ESR24

Post by AlecK »

How could anyone believe that 63(1)(b) calls for more testing, in addition to what is required by ESR 60?

As far as installing a (new) RCD is concerned; we are entitled to rely on the SDoC [ ESR 83] as establishing that the fitting is electrically safe.
The point of the testing in Section 8 (as called for by ESR 60) is NOT to prove that the fittings used are safe, but that we have installed them correctly so they operate safely.

Nothing says we can't go further than the minimum required; so those who want to do extra testing (of any aspect), be my guest.
But just accept that it's because we want to, not because we are required to.
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

It was just the 63 (1) "All prescribed electrical work done on a low or extra-low voltage installation
or part installation must be tested" (b) "to ensure that the installation or part installation is not electrically
unsafe"

Which was required as well as the other items in 63 (1)

It just made me wonder what testing to ensure its not electrically unsafe would be? So made me think of ESRs 20-26
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

ESRs 22 - 26 are about safety of fittings; under Part 2 "General Safety Requirements".
(so are ESRs 80 - 87, under Part 6, safety of fittings & appliances)
ESR 63 is about safety of work done on an installation (how the fittings have been installed) .
(so's ESR 13 - Past 2 again)
ESR 20 is about the completed installation (or works).

So there are both general safety requirements, and then particular safety requirements
There are also clearly stated lines of responsibility.

The safety of fittings is responsibility of the supplier [ESR80]
Responsibility for safety of PEW is shared between person doing it;
and more the person who certifies it (which is required to be prior to it being connected to supply);
the person who inspects it (if applicable);
and (mostly) the person who connects it (and issues ESC).
Selection of appropriate fittings is design, which is a another set of responsibilities again

Of course, often the doing, the certifying and the connecting are all done by same person;
who may also be the designer;
and , separately, may be a person supplying fittings that are used.
But regardless of how many of these roles any one person has; the lines of responsibility for each of the roles is different.

Bottom line about ESR 63 is that it doesn't require testing of fittings as such, it requires testing of how they have been installed.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
JamieP (Mon Jun 20, 2022 10:53 am)
Rating: 16.67%
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Thank you once again Alec, appreciated