Modules with different azimuth in series

Biner
Answers: 0
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Modules with different azimuth in series

Post by Biner »

Good morning

I have been asked to do a solar inspection, first time I have come across a string in series with multiple azimuths/angles. Each module has a optimizer under the panel, to which my understanding modify the current from a lower producing panel in order to prevent impedance on higher producing modules. Generally they are used for shading however I have found some information in regards to different orientations https//:support.tigoenergy.com/hc/en-us/articles/209345667-Different-Orientations

The issue I have is that in 5033:2012 2.1.5
Modules that are electrically in the same string shall be all in the same orientation within +/- 5 degrees.

The electrician has referred to 5033:2014 2.16 which states both the above statement and:
Where each person module (or small groups of PV modules) is connected to individual MPPT devices and the outputs of those devices are then connected to an inverter or other PCE, each of those PV modules or groups may be oriented differently provided the overall design is within the manufacturers recommended design parameters.

My question is, does 2014 make an exemption for their use or is it clarifying 2012 being such a broad statement that could be interpreted in a few different ways. Possibly the electrician got there measurements wrong and trying to hold face in regards to selling a certain size system, there will be performance issues with this design however I do not believe it is electrically unsafe.

Thanks for your time
TPower
Answers: 0

Re: Modules with different azimuth in series

Post by TPower »

I know there are systems out there designed to operate as you describe, solar edge comes to mind.

Having modules in the same string at different orientation & azimuth is a performance issue, not a safety one, as far as I’m aware.

There is no information in 5033:2012 that relates to PV optimisers, so I think it’s fair to rely on the information in 5033:2014. Yes, I believe 5033:2014 does make allowance for there use, and to be installed as you’ve described, keeping in mind manufacturers instructions.

It’s past time they got on and cited some of these more up to date standards in the ESR.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Modules with different azimuth in series

Post by AlecK »

Agree the citation of later editions would be an improvement.
But until that happens, installations must comply with cited edition.
So the 'let-out" in 2014 edition cannot be used.
It's electrically OK, but legally non-compliant.
And inspection is about certifying both "safe" and 'compliant"