Inverter and battery in the bedroom

Energy
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Inverter and battery in the bedroom

Post by Energy »

An inverter and battery( lithium) has been installed in a habitable space (bedroom) is that compliant? I see its not recommended which is clear but anywhere In the standards stating it can't be ?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Inverter and battery in the bedroom

Post by AlecK »

Yes.

AS/NZS 5139 says BESS shall not be located in habitable rooms of domestic / residential installations.
4.2.2.2 for pre-assembled BESS
6.2.2.2 for other BESS
Not just a recommendation; but "shall not".

This is the only installation Standard that covers lithium batteries.
Compliance is required by 7.8.2.15 of "3000" 2018 +A1.
Unfortunately that updated Standard has not been cited in ESR yet.
Nor do ESRs directly require compliance with 5139.

However I would argue that not only is the situation described contrary to the relevant Standards;
it's electrically unsafe as defined in ESR 5, and therefore a breach of ESRs 13, 14, & 15.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
TPower (Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:26 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
TPower

Re: Inverter and battery in the bedroom

Post by TPower »

Just sounds out right dangerous putting it in a bedroom, I wouldn’t want to sleep with one, they’re a fire risk.

Yes agree doesn’t comply with 5139 if it’s in a habitable space. Pretty limited where you can fit a battery system to comply with 5139. Generally in an attached garage or outside of the building. Also have to keep in mind ‘fire barriers’ if the battery is on a wall that backs onto a ‘habitable space’.

5139 isn’t cited, but think Worksafe regard it as best practice, so be foolish not to follow it.

Section 4 & 5 of 5139 both relate to lithium batteries that conform to “Best practice guide: battery storage equipment - electrical safety requirements”. Last I checked the CEC had this info on their website. If the battery manufacturer doesn’t list their battery as conforming with this document, you have to install it IAW section 6. I think Section 6 also relates to other (non-lithium) batteries?

Section 4 is for systems such as Tesla power walls, where all the components are all integrated into the one box. Section 5 is for systems that have a separate battery that has cabling between the battery and inverter.