Earthing PV ELV DC micro inverter

TPower
Answers: 0

Earthing PV ELV DC micro inverter

Post by TPower »

Micro inverter/solar installation. Is it necessary for the PV panel frames to be earthed? 1 micro inverter per panel, PV panels at ELV.

The information in 5033:2012 is making me think it’s not necessary, when the PV/DC voltage is less than ELV. I’m referring to clause 4.4.2.1. and figure 4.3-decision tree.

I’ve come across a site where the previous installing electrician has earthed the struts the PV panels are mounted on, however there is no earth continuity to the actual PV panel frames that are clamped onto the struts. I usually see purpose made washers with serrated teeth that penetrate the painted or anodised surface of the frames, creating an adequate earth connection.

The same clause in the 2014 version leads me to believe they should be earthed, the wording is different in clause 4.4.2.1. But I can’t really rely on this version as it’s not mandated in the ESR.

It would’ve just been easier to earth them all at the time of install to save any bother I think. But unfortunately that hasn’t been done in this case, hence why I’m querying it. Any thoughts on this much appreciated. TIA.
JamieP
Answers: 0

Re: Earthing PV ELV DC micro inverter

Post by JamieP »

"and unless all array cabling is protected in conduit or ducting, the
array mounting frames shall also be earthed."

If the array cabling isn't in conduit or ducting then the mounting frames must be earthed

"In PV arrays with a PV array maximum voltage greater than ELV all exposed metal module
frames shall be earthed"

If the PV array max voltage is more than ELV then the metal module frames also need earthing