Solar Conduit Labelling

JamieP
Answers: 0

Solar Conduit Labelling

Post by JamieP »

I'm just curious of opinions here

5033 2012 5.3.1 "When conduit or other wiring enclosure is used, the wiring enclosure shall be labelled
‘SOLAR’ on the exterior surface of the enclosure at each end of the enclosure and at each
change in direction."

2014 makes this needed every 2m

My question is is simply using "Solar" conduit enough? I know it possibly meets the wording but often the words either fall in the wrong location or end up being lost in the rest of the labelling on the conduit. Also this gives nothing to differentiate it being used for a standard AC run so nothing really indicates there is PV DC cabling inside.

I personally feel like additional labelling is required to be compliant and truly identify that this is a DC system

Just wondering if you do or don't think this is enough?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Solar Conduit Labelling

Post by AlecK »

I believe using the "solar" HD conduit meets the letter of the requirement.

Not very likely to be mistaken for a "normal" wiring run, since it's generally external; and the fact of there being a PV system will be obvious.
Use of conduit within buildings for other circuits us not at all common
I agree additional labelling would be beneficial; but identifying wiring systems fully before doing any work on them is a fundamental of our trade.
Should never rely on labelling alone.
JamieP
Answers: 0

Post by JamieP »

Interesting, I see your points

I don't know if I agree with generally external though, every company I've worked with has always done internal runs in the roof space

My main issue is a lot of the stuff we use doesn't have the word solar at very good intervals so when cutting pieces and such the word is hard to get to fall where it's needed and I would assume this to be the case for many people using this for the labelling requirements

I suppose if you can get the words to fall where needed, like you say, it does meet the wording required of simply saying SOLAR
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

The reason i stated "generally external" is that interior runs are forbidden unless there's an array isolator on the rooftop [4.4.1.5; condition (c)].

I don't believe rooftop isolators are at all common in NZ.
Nor should they be, given the number of fires reported in Oz as originating at rooftop array isolators

Max length of internal run is 300 mm ; but that very clear rule is then contradicted by imposing a condition for longer runs.
Letter of the clause as published is the internal must be in "metallic wiring enclosure "; but Schedule 2 citation changes this to " metallic high density PVC wiring enclosure".
There is no such product; so using HD PVC within the building is technically non-compliant.

The clause changes in 2014 edition; with the new requirements in 4.3.6.3.2.
All cabling in ceiling space, within walls or under floor having to be in "metallic or heavy duty insulating wiring enclosure"; max length "unprotected" 300 mm - but an "exemption" for non-domestic provided if can show risk of short circuit is minimal.

This suggests what the intent of the 2012 edition maywell have been; and that the citation should hase included an "or";
but it doesn't provide a pathway to compliance.
2014 edition is not yet cited, and compliance with 2012 +A1+A2 is mandatory.
With there being no such thing as a "metallic high density PVC wiring enclosure"; internal runs longer than 300 mm do not comply.