Solar Smart Meters Location

JamieP
Answers: 0

Solar Smart Meters Location

Post by JamieP »

I've been needing to install more and more smart meters in conjunction with inverters for better monitoring of PV systems.

My question is can such a product be installed before before the main switch of the installation? I have done so in the past looking at some of the exceptions in 3000 2.3.3.1 but have since notice (c) which is what I had used seems to only indicate that it's ok if it's required to be installed there where as I don't believe the devices we use are required before and that they work after but more it was a matter of convenience

Does this make it non-compliant if the device isn't actually required before the main switch?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Solar Smart Meters Location

Post by AlecK »

Insufficient detail
Question is headed "PV" but appears to actually relate to mains parallel inverter.

Presume the "main switch" referred to is the main switch for the inverter supply to the installation ?
JamieP
Answers: 0

Post by JamieP »

Apologies, the smart meter talks to the inverter and they are connected via data cable

So yes this isn't really a PV issue as it's more to do with the inverter and consumer mains/main switch of the installation

The main switch I'm referring to is the installation main switch not the solar main switch
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

If the meter fits any Exception to 2.2.3.1; it can be on line side of - and therefore not controlled be - the main switch

I agree there seems to be no functional requirement for this equipment to be so located; so (c) doesn't apply.
And I'm assuming this isn't a revenue meter, but rather a check meter relating only to the inverter's functioning; in which case (b) doesn't apply either