US enphase inverters

TPower
Answers: 0

US enphase inverters

Post by TPower »

I’m working in with an electrician who is installing a PV system, he’s doing the installation, I’ll be doing inspection.

I’ve been advised they’re installing three phase enphase/micro-inverters that are designed for the American market, therefore operate at 110/220VAC. The switchboard is apparently supplied by a grid simulator (not entirely sure what this is), but have been advised the switchboard that the micro-inverters are to be connected to is going to operate at 110/220VAC.

I just have a few uncertainties around the compliance of such an arrangement, it’s somewhat unfamiliar territory.
Is such an arrangement a part 1 installation, and would therefore require a certified design? I’m uncertain about the wiring identification, the electrician has advised me the wiring supplying the inverters is US colouring, is this acceptable? They’re intending on using 230/400VAC standard NZ switchgear, is it okay to use this at 110/220V? I imagine this would be okay as the voltage rating of the switchgear will exceed what it will be operating at.

It sounds like a pretty unusual arrangement. It’s being installed at a research & development facility.

Any advice much appreciated. Thanks!
gregmcc
Site Admin

Re: US enphase inverters

Post by gregmcc »

Part 1 installations *must* be a certified design, Part 2 installations can be a certified design but don't have to be.

Sounds like a bit of a can of worms here, It would be a good idea to insist on a certified design so it very clear what is been done and why and how compliance is going to be achieved.

110/220V doesn't fall with in the standard voltages, I think there is some thing in the ESR's about the use of non standard voltages.
TPower

Re: US enphase inverters

Post by TPower »

Thanks Greg. Yeah it’s a bit of a tricky one, I haven’t actually seen it yet, just spoke with the electrician about it. But yes, certainly sounds a can of worms.