Switchboard for Generator with RCBO

Tiger
Been thanked: 0

Switchboard for Generator with RCBO

Post by Tiger »

Hi Everyone,

I am asked to do a switchboard for the a Hyundai Generator as per attached plate photo.

It is not connected to the grid and will not be.

The problem is the main switch in the generator is actually a RCBO which means I cannot really make my switchboard as MEN switchboard as it will trip immediately. Just wondering have you guys had this problem before? The only solution I can think of is to run a 16mm earth to my switchboard and make my switchboard as distribution board.But then the problem is there is no earth bar, the switchboard in the generator is simply the main switch.

Any thoughts are welcome.

Thanks,
Tiger
Attachments
33.jpg
22.jpg
11.jpg
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Switchboard for Generator with RCBO

Post by AlecK »

Assuming domestic, or otherwise following part 2, then ESR 60 requires a standalone power system to comply with "4509.1".
Which requires setting up a main earthing system for the installation,
including a MEN within the installation's MSB (not within the genset / other source).

Basically you can't use an RCD-protected genset to supply a fixed installation, regardless whether grid-supplied or off-grid.
Source needs to have isolated output.

Therefore either modify the genset; or swap for one that suits
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
Tiger (Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:22 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
Tiger
Been thanked: 0

Re: Switchboard for Generator with RCBO

Post by Tiger »

Thank you, Aleck! Really appreciate!
AlecK wrote:
Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:48 am
Assuming domestic, or otherwise following part 2, then ESR 60 requires a standalone power system to comply with "4509.1".
Which requires setting up a main earthing system for the installation,
including a MEN within the installation's MSB (not within the genset / other source).

Basically you can't use an RCD-protected genset to supply a fixed installation, regardless whether grid-supplied or off-grid.
Source needs to have isolated output.

Therefore either modify the genset; or swap for one that suits