ASNZS5139

TPower
Answers: 0

ASNZS5139

Post by TPower »

On the EWRB website, on one of their toolbox topics titled; ‘Which Standards apply and where can I find them?’

Regarding PV systems, it states ‘The Electrical (Safety) Regulations 2010 Regulation 60
(external link)
states compliance is required with both AS/NZS 3000 and the relevant standards’. It then goes on to list ASNZS5139 as the relevant standard for battery systems.

5139 isn’t listed in ESR60, it’s not in the ESR at all? I believe it should be complied with, as it’s the only standard I’m aware of that’s applicable for lithium battery systems, but is it correct for the EWRB to have it listed as something that’s seemingly mandatory as per ESR60?

I find this a bit difficult if inspecting these systems, I refer to 5139 when inspecting, and advise of its requirements. Most electricians aren’t even aware of this standards existence (seems to be a lack of education/competence in general for solar & batteries IMO), or I may find myself butting heads with electricians, as they believe as 5139 isn’t cited it’s not mandatory. I guess a battery system isn’t HR work, so not really my responsibility in terms of inspection. However, it’s still associated equipment so I feel I have some duty of care, and regardless as to whether it requires inspection or not, it still needs to comply and be safe.

The link is to the ‘Tool box’ topic I refer to.

https://www.ewrb.govt.nz/tools-and-reso ... egulations
Attachments
758BE18B-A819-4CE7-98B0-02C7D07A9B39.jpeg
CB852448-B3D1-49CC-BE04-A928BE5C0156.jpeg
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: ASNZS5139

Post by AlecK »

Correct that "5139" has not yet been directly cited in ESRs.
It's also not cited as mandatory by currently cited edition of "3000" (refer clause 7.8 for a bunch of such "secondary citations")
It is cited in 2018 edition (from Amendment 1).
Therefore it's status is guidance.
While that means you can't be deemed to have committed an offence of failing to comply with a requirement;
but you could still be hot with an alternative charge,
or have to explain to a coroner why you didn't follow the available guidance.

A battery system is not part of the PV array that it may be associated with.
And correct it isn't listed as being High Risk PEW in its own right [ESR 6A]
so there is no requirement for the battery system to be inspected.

Also correct that Inspectors have some - undefined - responsibility beyond the strict requirements of inspection of HRPEW.
What you call a duty of care - which I would say you are meeting.

---------------------
As for what EWRB publish; they often get such things wrong.
But if you end up in front of them; whether their opinion is correct or not seems not to matter much,
unless you can convince then they are wrong.

On this matter; I believe that the fact of them being technically incorrect is less important than the fact that they are attempting to educate the industry.
TPower

Post by TPower »

Thanks Alec, appreciate the help, this makes good sense.
Biner
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Biner »

I agree with you Tpower about banging heads. Who is ultimately responsible for updating the cited standards in schedule 2? Is it an industry cost issue? Would a petition work?
gregmcc
Site Admin

Post by gregmcc »

Ultimately because of the way the ESR's are worded it's an legislative change to reference the new standards, so it would be worksfe and the EWRB pushing the minister to bring the changes before parliament for a law change.
Common sense (yes I know this does not apply to politicians) would say, change to law to allow worksafe or EWRB to cite the new standards as they become relevant, but as AS/NZS3000:2018 has yet to be a cited standard you can see how slowly things move.....