Enphase Mirco Inverter System

Slovett

Enphase Mirco Inverter System

Post by Slovett »

I have a job coming up involving a single phase Enphase Micro Inverter System.

I know 4777.1:2005 is the cited edition but Im reluctant to buy something so out of date, so Im going off the 2016 edition for now. (Standards NZ says its cited for some reason - It may be due to the Network Companies specifying 4777.1:2016)

I feel they are a safer product, vs a DC String Inverter, but the more I read through 4777.1:2016, the harder it seems to me for the Enphase Micro Inverters to comply, mainly around location and isolation.

Just wondering how other people get around:

3.4.3 -Where the inverter is not adjacent to the switchboard to which it is connected, there shall be a labelled isolating switch adjacent to the inverter in addition to the main switch (inverter supply) installed in the switchboard. This isolating switch adjacent to the inverter shall be readily available

5.3 -The inverter shall not be located in a restricted location as defined for switchboards in AS/NZS 3000. The inverter and associated isolating switch shall be located such that they are readily available

1.3.27 Readily available - Capable of being reached for inspection, maintenance or repairs without necessitating the dismantling of structural parts, cupboards, benches and the like.

Since the Micro Inverters are located under the PV Panel, the only way to access them is to dismantle some of the PV array to gain access. Also I wouldn't class an Isolator on the roof (Adjacent to the Micro Inverter) as readily available in most cases.

The only way around it that I can see is if you class the Enphase IQ relay and Gateway (which is the Final connection that connects all the Micro Inverters to the Installation SwitchBoard, which is usually located at or near the Installation SwitchBoard) as part of the IES, which I guess it technically is, as they won't work with out it.

Anyway, what are your thoughts?
Last edited by Slovett on Tue Feb 13, 2024 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Enphase Mirco Inverter System

Post by AlecK »

I recently heard that an exemption from complying with cited edition may be available from ES.

Conditions being
1. no reduction in safety;
2. an exemption for the design is approved by Worksafe NZ (cost $400/design).

Haven't found time to follow this up yet.