Black as an active? Table 3.4

JamieP

Black as an active? Table 3.4

Post by JamieP »

I understand European colours are discussed in 3000 and it's common to have a black as L2 but is the use of European multiphase non-compliant as installation wiring due to table 3.4 only allowing colours other than those listed and this list includes black

Curious if I'm missing something or not
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Black as an active? Table 3.4

Post by AlecK »

Short answer:
using a black as active is generally non-compliant (for wiring systems using colour of conductor insulation as the means of ID)

Clause 3.8 is complex, and needs to be read carefully. However the basic rule is that conductor function must be "clearly" identified.
Where that ID is by colour of conductor insulation, the colours of Table 3.4 are mandatory; however there are 2 sets of Exceptions.

The first is in 3.8.32, which allows use of "sleeving or other means" to provide the colour; although this practice is restricted to the specific cases described. Sleeving is not specifically required to cover 100% of the actual insulation; but the ID must be "clear" - ie not capable of being misunderstood. The coverage necessary to provide clear ID will vary depending on circumstances. This sub-clause would allow a multiphase cable with European coloured conductor insulation to be used as installation wiring; by sleeving the black active & blue N to conform to Table 3.4. Brown & grey cores could be left unsleeved; but would be good practice to sleeve then as well.
Re-sleeving can be used similarly for cables from other parts of the world; eg North American black active / white neutral.

The second is that 3.8.3 does allow some use of alternative colours; including 3.8.3.3 permitting active & neutrals to have alternative colours in some particular circumstances . The relevant ine being (b); where flexible cables & cords using the European colours are specifically permitted - so no sleeving required. Note this apples only for flexibles; and only for the specific European colours (as set out in 3.8.3.4).

We must always bear in mind that the underlying requirement is that the ID of conductor function must be clear.
Most practitioners expect ID by colour, and they will - rightly - expect standard colours to be used in most cases. They are also entitled to expect that any departure will be obvious. There must be no possibility of anyone who finds a black-insulated conductor believing it's a neutral unless it is one. Especially if all the other black conductors in the enclosure actually are neutrals, and all or most of the other actives are red (or R/W/B).

Similarly if the decision is made to use non-colour means of ID, this must be obvious. Just fitting a small cable-ID marker and leaving the original insulation with a non-compliant colour is not providing clear ID.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
JamieP (Fri Jun 03, 2022 10:41 am)
Rating: 16.67%
JamieP

Re: Black as an active? Table 3.4

Post by JamieP »

I guess what's confused me a bit is 3.8.3.3 it seems to show the correlation between the colours which I understand but I couldn't see where it actually said these colors are acceptable but I'd missed 3.8.3.2 (b) which is where it allows flexible cords or cables to use the European colours for installation wiring

Thanks Alec