Sub-main to domestic shed: Minimum size?

Mazdaman

Sub-main to domestic shed: Minimum size?

Post by Mazdaman »

A small shed on a carport requires power for 1 power point and 3 lights. I don't know if the owner prefers overhead or underground cable route yet for the 3m gap between the house and shed. Please can someone let me know if there is a minimum cable size to a sub-main? From 3.12.2.2 it looks like 6mm for aerial.

3.12.2.2 Minimum size
The minimum size of aerial conductors shall be as follows:
(a) Copper and aluminium conductors Copper or aluminium conductors installed as aerial conductors shall have not less than seven strands and shall be not smaller than 6 mm2 for copper or 16 mm2 for aluminium.

What about underground? Thank you.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Sub-main to domestic shed: Minimum size?

Post by AlecK »

Clause 3.5.1 & Table 3.3 set minimum size based on conductor function .
( a look at the index would have found this)

The greater minimum size for aerial is because an aerial conductor needs to be strong enough to be self-supporting.
If you use catenary support, clause 3.12 does not apply; use 3.13 instead
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
Mazdaman (Thu May 18, 2023 3:05 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
DougP
Answers: 3

Re: Sub-main to domestic shed: Minimum size?

Post by DougP »

I wouldn't bother running it as a "submain" and having a switchboard for just a few items.
Simply run one RCD protected final subcircuit for everything. Run a 2.5 on a 16A circuit, and reduce to 1.5 for the lights if necessary.
As Alec said, if you use a catenary, it's not classified as "aerial" and those minimums don't apply. But be aware that if you run a catenary, minimum height of 3m is required. To get around this, you can put a fixed support (timber or metal or whatever) between the two buildings and fix the cable to the structure. Or go underground if they don't want the eyesore.
These users thanked the author DougP for the post:
Mazdaman (Thu May 18, 2023 3:05 pm)
Rating: 16.67%