Underground services, seperation and entering building

Dan L

Underground services, seperation and entering building

Post by Dan L »

In regards to underground services and separation distances table 3.7 it mentions mechanically protected,not additional protection just mechanically protected

So I would assume that the neutral screen cable that is made to be burried direct would count as mechanically protected?

Also 3.9.8.4 mentions above ground services can have a seperation of 25mm so with that in mind from the point where services are underground and to where the services are above ground or entering building how much leeway is allowed? I often see at point where services are entering building services all stuffed in together is this OK? Keeping in mind the " danger burried live cable" sign is installed here.

There are some situations where underground seperation can be easily maintained but to get into the house its hard to keep the seperation due to hard Rock ground or awkward hill or angles. Of course in a perfect work everything would be seperate and enter building vertically up but I often see slow slopes up.

( my background is new inspector)

Any feedback much appreciated
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Underground services, seperation and entering building

Post by AlecK »

Good question.
I would take "mechanically protected" to mean to the degree required for the cable type & installation conditions; so for a Cat A u/g wiring no additional protection needed.
The point of the requirement is that other people may need to dig up those other u/g services, and need to be able to do so without unduly disturbing our stuff.

Any transition from minimum separation u/g to reduced separation permitted above ground must take place above ground.

A breach of 3.11.5 or 3.9.8.4 may not be the electrical worker's fault; if other services have been added later.
But it must be compliant as at date of issuing CoC
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
Dan L (Sat Jun 27, 2020 7:30 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
Dan L

Re: Underground services, seperation and entering building

Post by Dan L »

Thanks. I would assume most domestic water service are less than dn65 so 100mm is not much seperation anyway.
But you have answered my questions very well thanks.