Installation of heating element for tile heat systems

JamieP

Installation of heating element for tile heat systems

Post by JamieP »

May not be the right area to post this but wasn't sure where to put it, I've seen this a few times in the old forums but thought I'd get some fresh opinions

I thought layer such work was PEW according to 1(1) (b) as it's a fitting with the intention of contention to the installation
Screenshot_20200613-203238_Drive.jpg
Although in section 4.10 of 3000, which says to reference NZS 6110:2007 it clearly says it's not
FB_IMG_1592085465377.jpg
Am I interpretating it wrong? Or is NZS 6110:2007 wrong or outdated (due to current ESRs being 2010)?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Installation of heating element for tile heat systems

Post by AlecK »

The installation (and product) Standards only get any authority they may have from being cited by Regulations.
The citation may be as a "deemed to comply" with a requirement set by Regulations (eg the standards cited by ESR 25); or as a "must follow" (eg the standards cited in ESR 59 & 60).
The hierarchy is Act: Regs: Standards.
The concept of PEW is set in the Electricity Act; which also places restrictions on who can do PEW.
But the Act doesn't stipulate what sorts of work are PEW; it leaves that to be done by Regulations.
The ONLY thing that can make work either PEW or not-PEW is Schedule 1 of ESRs.

Looking back to the time when "6110" was published; ESRs hadn't been. In 2007, the 1997 Regs were still in force.
But their definition of PEW was very similar

NZS 6110 makes a distinction between the heating element and the cold tails; t to explain the demarcation between what work relating to these systems is PEW and what is not.
However the Standard cannot change what Schedule 1 of ESRs defines as PEW.

Nor can it change the fact that the heating element is an "appliance" (as defined in the Act), while the cold tails are "conductors" - and both are "fittings".

ESRs Schedule 1 clause 1 says that that installation of any fitting or any conductor into an electrical installation is PEW;
unless something in clause 2 says otherwise.
Nothing in Clause 2, that could apply to under-tile heating, does say otherwise.

However; this definition of PEW applies to works, and to installations. Since the definition of "electrical installation" in the Act excludes any appliance; this definition of PEW cannot include the "appliance" part of a heating system.
The "appliance' being the bit that consumes electricity, as against just carrying / controlling it.

So when NZS 6110 says installing the element isn't PEW, it's correct.
When it says a "heating unit", comprised of an element + cold tails, PEW; it's on less certain ground.

Regardless, authorities aren't going to worry about it. They'll only get involved if something goes wrong, and they'll be looking at whoever signed the CoC to carry the can. It won't to that person any good to say "I only connected it; I didn't install it"; because hey are legally responsible for the safety & compliance of everything they connect. That includes that the element was installed i.a.w the standard.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post (total 2):
JamieP (Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:59 pm) • ShaneR (Thu Jun 18, 2020 5:08 pm)
Rating: 33.33%