Electrical Engineered installations - what sort of liability do I have?

JamieP

Electrical Engineered installations - what sort of liability do I have?

Post by JamieP »

A lot of the installations I've been working on lately have been engineered by people above and we simply follow a plan or schedule

If something came up that I didn't agree with but it was insisted it was fine and the way it has to be as was designed by electrical engineers what sort of liability falls on me by actually doing the work and how does this work in terms of certification?

Do I just refuse if I believe something is non-compliant? What if I do something by the plan assuming it's correct, do I take the liability for it or does the EE?
gregmcc
Site Admin

Re: Electrical Engineered installations - what sort of liability do I have?

Post by gregmcc »

2 choices here, 1 get the electrical engineer to issue a certified design, this says when completed to the design that the installation will comply with the relevant standards, standards will need to be listed. tick this box on your COC and keep a copy of that with the COC. this makes the EE responsible for non compliance as long as you point out the issues to the EE for correction. (in writing)
2, advise the EE in writing - quote the relevant standard why it doesn't comply and how you will address it and at what cost (it should be a variation) and that as you will be signing the COC you are required to take the liability so the installation has to be correct as you will not issue a false declaration (COC).

I have this same issue many times with EE's once they realise the problem and that they won't get compliance they change their design. The main thing is keep in in writing so it is clear on who said what and when, even if it an email confirming what was said during a phone call.
These users thanked the author gregmcc for the post:
JamieP (Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:19 am)
Rating: 16.67%
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Electrical Engineered installations - what sort of liability do I have?

Post by AlecK »

If you're working to plan-&-specification; the design documents will meet the definition of "certified design" in ESR 58.
So unless they are obviously wrong (to the extent where you can't follow them "on good faith)", you're covered - provided (as gregmcc said) you can attach a copy of those design documents to your CoC.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
JamieP (Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:22 am)
Rating: 16.67%