Cable Duct vs Conduit

JamieP

Cable Duct vs Conduit

Post by JamieP »

First time working with cable duct and just got me curious

Are they made to the same standard or different?
Do they use the same rating systems and are they equal? Eg HD etc

I've just noticed light duty and medium duty duct underground (both orange but I know color doesn't change anything, just adding info) as a Cat A system but I would have through it would need to be heavy duty to comply with Cat A

Just made me wonder if conduit and duct are 2 different things hence the different name
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Cable Duct vs Conduit

Post by AlecK »

It should have the Standard it's made to comply with printed on it.
2053 series for plastic conduits.
I suspect ducts is the same standard, with "duct" being used more as general size indicator

Agree for Cat A needs to be HD, or MD encased in concrete (assuming plastic duct and insulated / sheathed conductors).
Different for other cable types; as per Table 3.5
PeteRig

Post by PeteRig »

Also Marley conduit comes in 4m lengths, up to 50mm dia, above ground is HD and UV resistant, below ground HD but not UV
Ducting comes in 6m rigid or continuous, rigid sizes 32mm to 150mm HD, only the white ducting is UV protected,continuous ducting 20mm to 160mm dia.

Also the conduit fittings dont fit ducting, slightly different dimensions
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Had a look into things and it does seem ducts still follow similar standards, except continuous ducts, from looking on the Marley website

But regards everything still points towards an HD rating for Cat A and MD for Cat etcetc

I have seen ducts on the Marley website that specify no duty rating so I guess these are simply for use above ground?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

If it isn't clearly marked with both duty and Standard; I wouldn't use it underground.
Or at least, not for LV installation wiring where the category depends on the duct / conduit.