Submains though apartment ceilings

PeteRig

Submains though apartment ceilings

Post by PeteRig »

I have a scenario where there is multiple apartments (each with their own title) in the same building, there is a Common Main Switchboard incl meters (in a Common area) and some of the apartments submains will need to run through the ceilings of other apartments to the MSB, due to the construction of the building. I have been told that an easement will be created to allow for this.

I would imagine that the easement will probably need to be fire rated as well.

Does this sound ok, not sure if the submains will be on a cable tray in the easement and/or in individual conduits.

If these apartments were not on separate titles would this change anything?

I suppose creating an easement is like having a common riser in a building.

Anyway thoughts appreciated.

Thanks Peter
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Submains though apartment ceilings

Post by AlecK »

From Wiring rules perspective; no problem with having wiring for one installation rune through part(s) of structure where another installation is located.
And in this case, it's all same installation anyway.

Being separate titles, likely an easement or equivalent arrangement will be needed , for any services that relate to a different title.
Or there may be a common area, as is usual for 'rising (sub)mains' & similar for horizontal version eg shared driveway.
But that's property law; not Electrical law.

Fire ratings is Building law; but while I would expect a common area (eg services rising duct) might be fire-separated from other parts of building,
I wouldn't expect fire ratings just for an easement.
After all, an easement just says: "you can run your (whatever) through my space, under xyz conditions".
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
PeteRig (Tue Jun 08, 2021 2:35 pm)
Rating: 16.67%