Shipping Container

Chewbucca428
Answers: 0
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Shipping Container

Post by Chewbucca428 »

Hi all,
A friend has asked me to wire up a 40ft shipping container with some power. Would this come under 3001 as a transportable structure? Also, in terms of putting in some lights/sockets, any advice on how to fix fixtures/conduit on to the ceiling and wall with minimal disruption to the water tightness of the container?
DougP
Answers: 3

Re: Shipping Container

Post by DougP »

If it's going to be plug in, then it's 3001 for the container wiring and the supply to the socket outlet it's connected to.
If you hard wire it, then it's not.

If it was me, I would weld simple brackets inside to fix conduit onto (or possibly cable tray). The same as is done in steel/aluminium boats.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Whether you need to apply "3001" depends on whether the unit is to be plugged in ( transportable), or hard-wired as part (or all) of a fixed installation.
If it's to be plugged in, then it must comply with Part 2 of "3000, as modified by "3001".

Assuming it's a steel container, rather than an insulated one, then any fixing holes drilled will need to be sealed up (especially on the ceiling)- and you'll want to avoid fixings that poke out, creating a hazard on the outside.

Welding tags on to take fastenings is one option.
Or gluing on wood blocks; though I'd go for a high-strength glue rather than generic gunk-gun types

There are also "Ezy-Fix" self-adhesive conduit clips, cable tie bases, etc that will stick directly to surface, bare or painted.
For porous surfaces eg wood or concrete you need a primer, but smooth metal surfaces generally OK without primer as long as it's clean
From memory good for about 7 kg each so plenty of strength; but you have to buy the tool.
Imported. I got mine at Redpaths a long time ago, not sure whether any wholesaler stocks them now
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Imported to NZ by:
https://digitalimports.co.nz