Installation of conduits and ducts - is this PEW?

JamieP

Installation of conduits and ducts - is this PEW?

Post by JamieP »

Quite frequently the installation of ducts and conduits underground is outsourced with no way to know if it's been done correctly unless being there at the time or digging it up to check.

I'm just curious if it would be PEW or require a license/registration to do so?

Should a CoC be issued?

In most cases I'd assume it becomes certified by the person who runs the cables and connects them as there CoC would have to cover the full system and be issued before a ESC can be issued.

Can you rely on a CoC provided for a conduit or duct install when providing your own CoC for cabling when issuing an ESC?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Installation of conduits and ducts - is this PEW?

Post by AlecK »

According to Schedule 1, PEW includes installation / connection / maintenance of
(1)(a) conductors; and
(1)(b) fittings connected to conductors, or intended to be connected.

At first glance; a conduit / duct / trunking / tray isn't either.
And where the duct is just a duct; that seems OK to me.
Anyone can place a duct in a trench; or hang a cable tray along a wall. It's not PEW.

However when the conductors are placed into / onto the sipport / protection system, that's PEW
And if the conductors are not at proper depth, or have insufficient mechanical protection;
that's the responsibility of whoever does the PEW - so can't just be forgotten about.

And where a conduit is part of a 'wiring system" ; then I would treat the installation of it as part of installing the conductors.

Bottom line: if the duct (or whatever) is being installed for purposes of someone intending to run cables in / on it, then whoever does / certifies the PEW must ensure that it is installed correctly .

So yes: either be there supervising, or check later.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post (total 2):
Mazdaman (Fri May 20, 2022 5:35 pm) • JamieP (Fri May 20, 2022 7:01 pm)
Rating: 33.33%
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Further question:

Situations where there are existing ducts/conduits with existing cables

Would this be the same case that to run additional cables in them we would have to ensure they were up to current standards so our cables can be certified as compliant?

Or could we treat it like a complied when installed thing and continue to use them as such?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

The work you do must comply
and it must not reduce the safety of anything there before.

So if, for example, you find that an underground duct has insufficient cover over the existing cables, you can't add any new cables through that duct.
The existing cables may have complied when installed, but they may no longer comply with the original requirements for whenever they were installed. In which case under ESR 113 they are not allowed to continue in service.
Or it may be that the depth requirements changed over time.

Either way, you can't install new cables at less depth than currently specified
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Of course. My question was more around compliance of my wiring but I guess as you've indicated above unless I can prove it meets the requirements of today's rules to be suitable for my additional cables then I shouldn't be using it because I can't garentee it complies so my options are either prove it complies or install a new system I know complies.

Essentially no matter what the situation, responsibility lies on the person installing the cables to ensure wherever they get run that the installation system is suitable

Thanks Alec