Replacing 10A with 15A socket

Chewbucca428
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Replacing 10A with 15A socket

Post by Chewbucca428 »

Hi there, my last post just disappeared so i'll summarise. can I replace a 10a double socket with a 15a double socket in a residential property? I've been skimming the standards and struggling to find a ruling on it. can someone please tell me if there is a reference in the standards that speaks about this?
gregmcc
Site Admin

Re: Replacing 10A with 15A socket

Post by gregmcc »

You are protecting the cable and the socket with the circuit breaker, otherwise you can put whatever on the end. Remember the key words are "Electrically Safe"
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Replacing 10A with 15A socket

Post by AlecK »

Agree.

Overcurrent protection is primarily about the cable.
We select cable to carry the expected current; and then protect it so it can't be made to carry loads in excess of the as-installed CCC.
Only in a dew special cases is overcurrent protection required for other fittings in the circuit;
eg in marinas [3004] & caravan parks [3001] we protect each pillar socket intended for supply to a CI at no more than the rating of the socket.

Standards include things that are required, and things that are prohibited.
Every other possibility is allowed, but not required.
Some of these get a mention by being recommended, others don't get mentioned at all.

So the fact that "3000" doesn't mention overcurrent protection for sockets means it does not have to be provided, but you can if you like.

It also means you can replace that 10A rated socket with a socket of any rating.
Usually little point taking this beyond the rating of the cable; eg changing to a 32A socket won't let anyone actually draw 32 A from it, unless the cable's overcurrent proctection permits.
But it is not uncommon in industrial situations to standardise on one type of socket so all portable appliances can be used anywhere without needing adaptors.
The downside being that high-load appliances may not be able to operate on full power in some locations.

The other point to watch when increasing socket rating is that it will adversely affect volt drop calculation for the circuit.
This is generally OK for the circuit, because we generally use current limitation as means of ensuring compliance with VD requirements
But it flows back into calculations for submains and mains as well.