Wiring Systems installed on Ground

Slovett

Wiring Systems installed on Ground

Post by Slovett »

I have a question about Wiring Systems installed on the ground (Grass Field) for temporary relocation purposes.

I have a job coming up that requires the temporary relocation of Mains due to extensive Earth works at a property. The underground section of the Mains will be re-run in a temporary position during the EarthWorks and laid on the ground well out of the way of the diggers etc. The Mains will be mechanically protected (HD Conduit) and fixed into position with over sized ground staples. Will also lay / cable tie Danger tape to the Conduit.

Obviously its not ideal, but the House is being lived in during the site work and power needs to remain on.

Once the property excavations have finished, then the Mains will be relocated again underground.

I've had a read through 3000 (section 3 (3.3 & 3.9), but so far can't find an answer or a clause that prohibits this method.

Any thoughts?
PeteRig

Re: Wiring Systems installed on Ground

Post by PeteRig »

I believe it is fine, you are protecting the cable with conduit, maybe the conduit should be UV rated would be the only thing but that could be over the top as it is going back in the ground at some point.
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

All that really matters is what's likely to cause damage?

A person walking in it, HD conduit is probably fine

A car driving over it, HD conduit probably not fine

There is guidance on suitable WSX ratings based on likely risk in the appendixs of 3000 that can be helpful.

Just make sure the mechanical protection is suitable for the risk as we do in any situation and of course don't forget to make sure it's a UV suitable type
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

As far as Wiring rules are concerned, there's no such thing as "temporary".
While this is only intended to be a short-term use of the cable; it has to be installed as if it were going to remain 'forever".
Cable must be protected against whatever "external influences" it is likely to be exposed to; as per 3.3 & 3.9