2.9.2.3.b

Dan L
Answers: 0

2.9.2.3.b

Post by Dan L »

Property was going to be one large house.

After mains were run it got changed I to 2 house joined in the middle symmetrically (one structure)

Each house is completely self contained with its own front door and street address 15 and 17.

It has a main switchboard in one house and sub board in other house.

I suspect its non compliant in regards to 2.9.2 3 b .

And that main switchboard should be in a neutral area easily accessible by all or at least not in any one houses.

I was informed that the 2 houses are on the same title with same owner so that this set up is OK.

But I'm not sure that this makes a difference.

Any feed back or advice on this woukd be greatly appreciated
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: 2.9.2.3.b

Post by AlecK »

You are correct that ownership has nothing to do with application of Wiring rules.
And being on same Title has very little if anything.
What matters, for purposes of 2.9.2.3(b), is occupancy.

Bear in mind that - due to ESR 4(2) - some of the relevant definitions have to be from Act / ESRs instead of from Wiring Rules.

As described it's a single electrical installation with 2 occupancies.
Being in the same structure, the 2nd occupancy DB will be supplied by a submain including a PEC;
because the option of using a PEN submain is only available for supply to an outbuilding.
You are correct that 2.9.2.3 (b) means that both occupancies must have access to the MSB.
Each must also have a "main switch" for their own portion of the installation [2.3.3.3 (b)];
So at least three "main switches"

It's also possible to set up multiple occupancies as individual installations;
in which case each will be supplied by PEN mains, and will have it's own MEN, and a MEC to an installation earth electrode.
Crucially each will also have it's own PoS, which is where the "mains" for that installation originate.
Mains are not allowed to be shared between installations [3.9.8.2].
In this scenario; cables and associated fittings between the distribution network and the Points of Supply for the individual installations will be private works. This would include the circuit protection for each set of mains, and probably a master switch;
but the enclosure for these would not be a "main switchboard' and any switch would not be a "main switch".
Dan L

Post by Dan L »

Thanks for input much appreciated
TPower

Post by TPower »

It’s only difficult as clause 2.9.2.3(b) mentions ‘multiple installations’. Technically there isn’t multiple installations’ only one. But yes I agree, the intention of this clause relates to occupancy.

Would be better if the clause read-
2.9.2.3(b) - “In multiple electrical installations (or individually occupied portions of one electrical installation) the main switchboard shall not be located…’ or something to that effect?

It’s just stupid, the idea of having to go to the neighbours property to reset the power of the circuit breaker trips.