Standards - Cited vs Current

JamieP
Answers: 0

Standards - Cited vs Current

Post by JamieP »

I'm just curious on opinions on the best advice to give others around this

Many of our cited versions are sometimes 1 or even 2 versions behind, in some cases there probably isn't significant issues, in others maybe there is

Cited versions are law, and obviously we must meet the requirements of these versions first and foremost or we are are breaking the law and not complying with ESRs

Current versions should offer the most accurate and up to date informed on a topic and in most cases should be a better document with the most recent and up to date information on a topic

But what's the best way to navigate between the two? I've usually made comment that you have to follow the cited version first and foremost but can take any additional information from the current version additional to this as long as it doesn't conflict with the cited version, however sometimes trying to follow two versions of a standard can be difficult and end in mixed information and confusion, not just for the person doing so but also that we end up with a lot of people working to different rules and lose the continuity of having standards for everyone to have the same set of rules

This also makes me wonder if it's better to just follow the cited version 100% to eliminate this and ensuring you don't breach the ESRs, but some others seem to think this is irresponsible by directly ignoring more recent information that's available just because it's not cited

Some others take the attitude of "just follow the current version, you're unlikely to be charged for trying to do better" while this is true it could lead to breaches in ESRs and kind of defeats the purpose of having such regulations and laws

I'm just curious what others think is the best way to go about things and what there preference is to meet the requirements of ESRs?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Standards - Cited vs Current

Post by AlecK »

I would advise following latest available guidance; with 2 provisos.

Firstly, do nothing that conflicts with a legal requirement.
In this context, don't follow a later edition of it conflicts with the cited edition.
That won't happen often, but we need to be careful.

Secondly; if following the later edition comes at additional cost to the customer, then they should be the person to make the decision.
PawPatrol
Answers: 0

Re: Standards - Cited vs Current

Post by PawPatrol »

You must follow the cited standard. End of story.

If you want to follow a newer version, you must first follow the cited standard.

The way to do it in non-domestic is this:
1. do a clause by clause evaluation of the new standard vs the old standard, checking that there is nothing 'less safe' in the new version.
2. Write a certified design of the differences and electrically why the newer one is safer, or not less safer. (eg the lighting rules in the new version of 3000 allow different temperatures then the old version).
3. Attach this certified design on any CoC and still indicate on the CoC that you are complying with the cited standard, but note you are complying through your certified design.
4. Ensure that you follow the new version in it's entirety, don't clause shop from either standard.
5. Be prepared to take full responsibility for it and be prepared to have WorkSafe to go over it if they discover it.

For domestic you must follow the cited standard.

If you don't be prepared to have the book thrown at you if the EWRB or WorkSafe finds out.