How to deal with conflicts?

JamieP

How to deal with conflicts?

Post by JamieP »

4777 gets talked about a lot. We all know that 4777.1:2005 is cited, with 4777.1:2016 seemingly having much better information.

Now I understand the whole best thing is to work to the most up to date guidance provided you don't contradict the cited version.

I don't know 100% but let's just say that full compliance with 4777.1:2016 somewhere conflicts 2005 so that full compliance with one will always cause non-compliance in some way with the other

How do we deal with things such as ESRs legally telling us we need to meet 2005 but networks imposing a requirement for 2016? What do we do if we can literally only comply with 1?

Much like "Electricity Industry Participation Code Amendment (Inverter Standard for Distributed Generation) 2021" has Part 1 and Part 1A applications but to apply under Part 1A part of the requirements are to install via 4777.1:2016 because ESRs call for 2005, doesn't this technically make a Part 1A application impossible unless you don't comply with ESRs?

Then again, maybe it all makes sense because I'm making the assumption that both can't be complied with but if compliance with 4777.1:2016 also meant full compliance with 4777.1:2005 then I guess it could be ok but the next issue would be which one would you put on your certification, how can you keep all parties happy and still maintain compliance?

Or is this just a part of legislation and the fact there will always be parts that get missed or are very difficult to eliminate all conflicts and contradictions and I'm just over thinking this and in the real world, sometimes you just have to ignore certain anomalies
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: How to deal with conflicts?

Post by AlecK »

Both the work done, and certification of it, must be to the cited edition(s) of Standard(s).

The Electricity Industry Participation Code is at a lower level than Regulations.
Acts are promulgated by Parliament.
Regulations are promulgated by Government (by Order in Council); in the case of ESRs under the Electricity Act.
The Code is promulgated by the Electricity Authority - which is a Govt-appointed body, set up under the Electricity Industry Act 2010.
Roughly equivalent to EWRB.
Amendments to the Code are made simply by Notice in the Gazette - same as when EWRB alters the PL classes or the requirements for issue of a PL.

Therefore the Code cannot over-ride either an Act or a Regulation.
It applies to what "electricity industry participants" (generally networks & energy traders) do, not to what consumers and their contractors do.

It would be a problem if the Code required the networks to impose a contractual condition on a consumer that was in conflict with a Regulation.
If that did happen; because of the hierarchy a Regulation always prevails.
However I do not believe that there is any conflict between the requirements of the Code and the requirements of ESRs WRT types of inverter.
True the Code's references to AS/NZS 4777.1 have been updated, from 2015 edition to 2020 edition.
But these (two) citations Code do not require inverters to comply with the cited edition.
They simply allow for such inverters to be recognised / accepted.

If reading the Code (for those with too much time on their hands?); worth noting that in come cases different definitions apply under the Code than under ESRs.

Network "requirements" WRT how installations are set up are a matter of contract, and it is unlawful to contract out of compliance with the law.
Any "requirement" from a network that involves failing to comply with a Regulation would be unlawful.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
JamieP (Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:51 am)
Rating: 16.67%