Socket Outlets 3000:2007 - 4.4.4.1

Slovett

Socket Outlets 3000:2007 - 4.4.4.1

Post by Slovett »

I have a question about switching 10A socket outlets and whether a 10A socket has to be switched.

3000:2007 4.4.4.1 states Each Socket outlet shall be individually controlled by a seperate switch, with Exceptions.

I'm having trouble getting my head around Exception 2 - which says: A Socket-outlet that is rated at not more than 10A, installed for the connection of a fixed or stationary appliance or a luminarie and is not readily accessible for other purposes, need not be controlled by a switch.

What other purpose can a socket outlet be used for, other than plugging in a fixed or stationary appliance or luminaire and what is the purpose of stating "not readily accessible for other purposes"?

Is the explanation in 'Exception 2' just a long way of saying that a 10A (or lower) socket outlet does NOT require a switch to control the outlet?
JamieP

Re: Socket Outlets 3000:2007 - 4.4.4.1

Post by JamieP »

Socket outlets are used for many purposes

The point in the exception is exactly as it says, the items plugged into it must be fixed or stationary, such as a wall oven (under 10A), lighting, garage door unit, heaters, alarms etcetc the list goes on and on but that's some easy examples, the socket outlet must also not be readily accessable. Readily accessable is defined in 3000.

Basically it's talking about socket outlets that aren't general purpose and are used for the connection of something as an alternative to direct connection and much like with direct connection they usually incorporate there own means of operation or use the protective device to remove power before insertion and removal
Slovett

Re: Socket Outlets 3000:2007 - 4.4.4.1

Post by Slovett »

Hi Jamie,

Yes your right, I skipped over the Fixed and Stationary Appliance definition and just focused on the definition of Appliance.

Thank you.