Limits of work for a Distribution line Mechanic (LMD)

Slovett

Limits of work for a Distribution line Mechanic (LMD)

Post by Slovett »

Hi,

I have question about the Limits of Work for a LMD licence within an Installation (ie. House)

Can a LMD licence holder run Mains to an Installation (Pillar Box to External MeterBox)?

I know there is an Endorsement that allows them to do any PEW in an Installation with regards to the restoration of Supply (Which Im guessing would be an LMDI Practicing Licence??)

I could be wrong, but my interpretation of E is they can only work on fittings related the Distribution Network and nothing inside the Boundary (Installation) which means they can't certify (Issue CoC) Mains to a House.

LMD Limits -

A: The installation, connection, or maintenance of conductors used in works or installations; and

B: The installation, connection, or maintenance of fittings where the fittings are connected, or intended to be connected, to conductors used in works or installations; and

C: The connection or disconnection of fittings to or from a power supply, other than by means of a plug or pin inserted into a socket, or an appliance connector inserted into an appliance inlet; and

D: The maintenance of appliances; but

E: In those areas above (a) – (d) only in relation to conductors used as electric lines that are part of distribution infrastructure up to and including 110kV; and

F: The testing of work provided that they are authorised to carry out the type of PEW and it is their own PEW they are testing and may also test at the point where polarity to the installation can be confirmed; and

G:The certification of work provided that they are authorised to carry out the type of PEW; and

H: The supervision of work provided that they are authorised to carry out the type of PEW; but

I: Excluding any PEW in relation to the above (a) – (h) in a Mining Operation.
Slovett

Re: Limits of work for a Distribution line Mechanic (LMD)

Post by Slovett »

Problem Solved - Ive found an Info Graphic on the EWRB website that says Distribution Infrastructure is upto the Line side of the Meter.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Actually to the "incoming terminals"; as per definition of "electric line" in ESR 4.
So the "infographic" (dreadful term!) is correct that "lines " is not limited to "works" only, but can include conductors that are part of the "installation"
For typical o/h supply, the mains entry box for both A(s) & N.
For typical u/g supply; either the meter or the meter isolator if one is installed for A(s); and the n-stud (if one is used) or as far as the mains connection to N-bar.
Slovett

Post by Slovett »

Thanks Alec - Just following on - is the LMD allowed to terminate the cable at the Installation (Mains Entry Box / Meter Isolator) if they don't have an LMD endorsement?

Is the endorsement more for replacement / maintenance of Mains Entry Box and Main Switches etc to restore power?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Can't see why not.

The basic LMD allows work on lines that are part of distribution infrastructure. including within an installation.
The endorsement allows other work on the installation, but limited to restoring supply