Low Risk Work on Mains Work

Slovett

Low Risk Work on Mains Work

Post by Slovett »

Sorry if this has been asked before -

I've got a question about Low risk work on Mains Work - More specific, Work on Mains.

If a damaged underground 3 phase Mains Cable that is being replaced (same trench, same path etc.), who fills out the ESC? Line mechanic or Electrician - OR maybe 1 each? 1 for the Pole connection if the line mechanic is doing the final connection to pole fuses to allow power to flow and 1 from the Electrician who has replaced the Mains Cable?

Exisiting Mains Cable will be disconnected by Lines company at Pole Fuse, then replacement cable connected and livened by NetworkCompany.

Network Company will obviously want to see Cert from Electrician before livening. But being Low Risk, the ESC can only be completed once power is reconnected (ESR 74A (2)) so there won't be any paper work to fill our sign until installation is re livened.

Or does the Electrician issue a CoC for the Maintenance of conductors (ESR 65 (1)(a) & ESR 65 (2)) to show the Line Mechanic then issue a ESC once its live?
gregmcc
Site Admin

Re: Low Risk Work on Mains Work

Post by gregmcc »

the person does the final connection that will enable power to flow in to the installation should do the ESC, if you done the connection at the main switch BEFORE the connection at the pole fuse then the network company does it, but if the pole fuse connection was done FIRST before the main switch was done then you do the ESC.
The problem is the network is stuck in the dark ages will want a COC not knowing exactly what the correct way of doing things is, yes you can argue but the problem is they have all the power to liven or not, do it their way or no way. The alternative is do a COC and add their rego number to the COC as one of the other workers involved in the work.
DougP
Answers: 3

Post by DougP »

Some networks still require an ROI for any mains work before livening, even if it is low risk.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Agree that replacement of cable is low risk, so no CoC - or RoI - required.

If the load-end connection is done first, only one ESC is required, and it must be issued by the person making connection to network;
and , must state that the entire installation has bee re-connected.

If the network end is connected first, two ESCs will be required.
One by network for just the mains, and the other by whoever connects at load end, for the rest of the installation being reconnected.

ESR 74A (1AA)(c) was invented specifically to get an ESC for connections-to-network; which are - by definition, not PEW on an installation.

-------------
Agree that networks generally have little understanding of ESRs, and care even less.
They simply abuse their monopoly position to blackmail the rest of us.

As Greg says, easiest option is to go along with their demands however incorrect - or even unreasonable - they may be.
ESR 65(2) specifically allows a CoC to be issued for low risk PEW.
There no similar provision for RoI, but equally nothing to prohibit issuing one.

Just make sure that, as the person requesting the work, the network provides an ESC.
And if they don't, lodge a complaint to both Worksafe & EWRB
Slovett

Post by Slovett »

Thanks for the feed back -

I've always just had these type of Jobs Inspected in the past to save the arguments with Line Mechanic / Network Company. (I've herd some Network companies have a Company Policy to require RoI's before connection, regardless of the situation)

But in this situation I never fully understood (Load end connected first, Pole / Line end connected last) what paper work (if any) the Electrician legally (in relation to ESRs) should provide.

I feel it would be a tough ask to get any Line Mechanic to Liven without any paper work from Electrician, but I'll see how it goes the next time something like this comes up in real life.