"Household and similar electrical appliances"

JamieP

"Household and similar electrical appliances"

Post by JamieP »

If a schedule 4 standard, such as

"Electrical animal-stunning equipment - Standard A, or standard B, in conjunction with IEC 60335-2-87 Ed 2.2"

If a piece of equipment/appliance has certification for this, is still suitible for an industrial situation? What does the Household and similar electrical appliances part in the title mean?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: "Household and similar electrical appliances"

Post by AlecK »

It's just a generic description. It indicates that equipment that is inherently industrial in nature isn't covered.
So if the equipment is of a type designed / intended / likely to be used in a domestic situation; it's covered; regardless of where it may actually be used.
For example, very few households have 3-phase supply.
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

So an industrial animal stunner that will never be in a domestic purpose isn't included? So certification to this wouldn't stand?

I just got thrown off as the scope of that IEC standard made it seem like industrial equipment would still be included.
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

Two related but different things.
In fact maybe three.

What Schedule 4 is about - at least mainly - is deemed-to-be-safe as per ESR 80.
And for that purpose if the equipment complies with the Standard as cited; then ESR 80 deems it safe.

In that sense; the heading that's been used to sort all the Standards that are listed in the schedule into categories is almost meaningless.
It's really only there to help you find whether there's an applicable Standard listed.
Having done that; you check the Scope of the Standard; to be sure that it actually covers the specific type of equipment you are considering.
If there's any doubt about compliance, then move to EST 81 and seek acceptable evidence.
Given that direct path; I can't see that the headings in Schedule 4 are relevant beyond their obvious function to assist in finding entries in the list.

However the phrase "household and similar", and other such descriptive phrases, can have regulatory relevance;
for example when deciding whether or not the equipment is a "declared article" that needs SDoC and / or Approval.

Back to Schedule 4; note I said "as cited"
That means that you can't get to 'deemed safe' just by compliance with the underlying IEC Standard (for example);.
The equipment needs to comply with the specific edition in the listing, which in many cases is one that has specific NZ or AS/NZS requirements.

It could be that there are entries for somewhat similar equipment under different categories in the Schedule.
In which case they could point to different Standards for the different categories.
I don't know that there are any examples; and I'm not going to look.
But the way the Schedule is structured allows for it
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

Basically the purpose of my question is I'm just trying to work through want certification would need to be required when a company wants to install a new piece of animal stunning or meat conditioning equipment.

ESR 80 says it needs to be electrically safe and is deemed electrically safe if it complies with 3820 or a schedule 4 standard.

Hence the question about above, as it's the only one I can see in schedule 4 in relation to this, and only relates to stunning.

Obviously the above is a deemed to comply but it doesn't omit other methods does it?

NZS 6116 also indicates a number of standards under 2.1.1. 2.1.2 idicates standards for transformers if no barriers, as defined in that standard then the transformer and 3.1.6 indicates compliance with 3100.

3.1.6 says compliance with 3100 unless otherwise mentioned but I can't see anywhere in that standard that mentions otherwise. So 3100 is a must.

If it meets 3100 as it has to with 3.1.6 then that satisfies 2.1.1

So as long as I have proof of compliance with AS/NZS3100 and an SDoC for the transformer AS/NZS61558.2.4 if no barriers is that sufficient to meet regulations?

Or do I also need proof of compliance with AS/NZS 3820 to meet ESR 80? Even though 2.1.1 says 3100 is deemed to comply with 3820 is the fact that the standard says this enough?
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

That's too much for my brain tonight
And might be a while before I have time to work through it;
as I have a number of other tasks that must take priority.
JamieP

Post by JamieP »

No worries Alec, take care and thanks for all the help as always.

Hopefully you do get a chance at some point, even if it's a wee while a way as I'm struggling to navigate what I actually need between ESRs and NZS 6116.