SwitchBoard Upgrade Mains Work or Not?

Slovett

SwitchBoard Upgrade Mains Work or Not?

Post by Slovett »

Hi,

Not sure if this has been answered before - Ive got a question about a SwitchBoard upgrade.

Is a Main Switch Board upgrade considered Mains Work? - My opinion is that it's not, as long as all High Risk Fittings existed previous to the 'Upgrade' and the SwitchBoard is staying in the same location (Not extending Mains or MEC). Therefore a mixture of Low Risk and General.

But after looking at the EWRB website - https://www.ewrb.govt.nz/tools-and-reso ... nspection/
they are telling me it is High Risk Work requiring Inspection. Quote from EWRB page - "If you are installing a higher capacity board to cater for increased usage of an installation, then this is an alteration and classed high-risk work and needs to be inspected."

Am I wrong in my view? Im guessing I am
JamieP

Re: SwitchBoard Upgrade Mains Work or Not?

Post by JamieP »

There will still be mains work, as you'll be working on the fittings that meet the description but provided the mains work parts are maintained or replacement then they fall under low risk. Mains and MEC can also be extended as low risk to facilitate such replacement.

I only believe it becomes high risk when the old board has a different configuration that you're changing eg MEC and N on same stud on N bar and now being split or old.board with single N and E bar combined
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Jamie is correct that simple replacing of MSB is "mains work" but not high risk PEW.
Also that both mains & MEC can be extended (at swbd end) 'to facilitate replacement" of the fittings that make up the swbd.
And that any alteration to the configuration of the main earthing system, such as introducing an MEN link where none previously existed, would be high risk PEW.

The Board's published info is simply wrong.
Again !

Increasing the capacity of the MSB used to be work that required inspection, under old Regulations.
So was increasing the capacity of the mains, and a number of other activities.
But not since 2010; when those old Regs were revoked and a revised list of work requiring inspection was placed in ESR 70.
Increasing capacity of either mains or MSB were not on the revised list; so EWRB are more than 20 years out of date
The concept of 'high risk" PEW was introduced in 2013; by ESR 6A.
Nothing in ESR 6A (2) makes either of these tasks high risk PEW.
Slovett

Post by Slovett »

Thanks for the feed back,

Sorry I was meant to say High Risk Mains Work.

I thought I was right, but when you see a statement from the EWRB, it makes you guess your self!

On another note - Thanks AlecK and JamieP and others for your input this year (and previous years). This page is a Gem for finding answers. - Enjoy your Christmas.
These users thanked the author Slovett for the post:
DougP (Sat Dec 23, 2023 8:01 am)
Rating: 16.67%