Main Switch Height - BTS

Slovett

Main Switch Height - BTS

Post by Slovett »

Hi,

Just a question about minimum Main Switch and Main SwitchBoard Height.

I've had a 2 BTS installs where the Liviniging agent (Meter Hanger) has refused to Liven because the Main Switch / SwitchBoard was below 1.2m.

They say they are following ASNZS:3012.

I thought 3012 was only guidance and if the Electrician chooses to follow Part 2 of 3000 then it also complies.

From what I can find 3012 says follow 3000 for SwitchBoards.

3000 - 2.3.3.3 says Main Switch location shall be under 2m.
3000 - 2.9.2.5(a) Main SwitchBoard can be under 1.2m if you follow 2.9.3.1
3000 - 2.9.3.1 says follow 1.5.4

Both of the BTS that have been refused to liven comply with all of the above clauses.

Im obviously missing something - other than 3012, they won't give me a specific clause

Can someone point me in the right direction

Thanks
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Main Switch Height - BTS

Post by AlecK »

If they can't, or won't, provide a specific clause; that's a strong indication that they haven't got a clue.

You are correct that ESRs do not require compliance with "3012" when doing work on a construction site [ESR 25].
However when the construction wiring undergoes periodic inspection (every 6 months); ESR 75 says that assessment must be in accordance with "3012".

Also correct that "3012' does not impose any additional requirements WRT location of switchboards.
Clause 2.3.1 simply points to the requirements of "3000";
which is where the 1.2 m comes from ; with the Exception you've identified.

However step back a bit.
You say these are "livening agent (meter hanger"); but such people have no authority other than matters relating to network requirements.

Perhaps they are acting as inspector also?
in which case it's not refusal to liven; rather refusal to issue a "pass" RoI that would, in turn, permit livening.
Answer: find another inspector.
Slovett

Post by Slovett »

It's definitely not an Inspection issue, Im the Inspector. But makes me look bad when the Electrician rings me saying the Meter Hangers have refused to Liven due to the hight issue. I've tried to explain to them that it complies, with the clauses stated above, but the latest response was they have a company wide ban on Livening any BTS under the 1.2m. Which is pretty frustrating. I guess that's the Joys of not having a choice as to who can Hang and Liven in our area.

We're having other issues with the Meter Installers ESC and what it covers, but that's another thread that I'll post

Anyway, thanks for the reply - I thought I may having been missing a clause somewhere.

EDIT - So it turns out WorkSafe has told the Metering Company to follow AS/NZS3012:2019 Appendix J J3(h) - "The Switchboard enclosure shall be securely fixed to a vertical pole at a minimum distance of 1200mm from the ground to the bottom of the SwitchBoard"
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

Interesting.

In the cited edition, App J (Normative) is a "Guide to the arrangement of switchboards, construction wiring, and equipment"; and consists of a single Figure - which doesn't refer to height , or mounting of the switchboard(s) at all.

The clause they are referring to is in 2012 edition; where App J is an NZ-only part applicable to domestic sites only.
When (If ?) that edition is eventually cited; because it's "normative" it will become enforceable.
But until cited by ESRs, it's guidance only.

For Worksafe to be citing it seems strange;
except that part of the reason it was produced was to stop (some) networks from putting BTS in the road reserve, and not giving them an MEN earthing system.
The other main driver for producing this Appendix was that many practitioners, who only ever do domestic-type construction sites have trouble extracting all the applicable requirements from the main body of the Standard. This new App was intended as a simplified look-in-one-place set of requirements that were considered suitable.

Personally I don't think the 1200 mm height requirement is unreasonable; and I wouldn't suggest advocating for an amendment to bring back the Exception that applies in "3000" for fully-enclosed swbds.

But whatever the merits of App J in 2012 edition; right now it's certainly not enforceable in law.

It now seems it is being applied as a "network rule" - ie under civil law (commercial contract).
So they can't really expect it to be followed unless they have included it in a published document that forms part of their contract with their consumer-customers (eg their network connection standard).
That said, most networks don't understand any of this stuff; because in practice they don't have to.
Instead, being a monopoly, they operate under what one of my friends calls 'sandpit rules';
they're the biggest kid in the sandpit, so everyone has to do as they say.
Slovett

Post by Slovett »

From what I understand, WorkSafe are involved due to work site Audits they have been doing throughout the Waikato - and because some BTS inside a building site were livened without following the 3012 guidelines, they say it was unsafe and informed the Livening agent (Meter Hanger).

I agree, I think the 1200mm is a good rule, but I guess it would have been nice to know that the Meter Hangers were changing their livening rules to include parts of 3012:2019 before rejecting jobs - meaning the Electrician needs to re book the Network in again to disconnect the BTS from the Pillar and reconnect the new one to the Pillar, re book Inspection and re book Meter Hanging - all at extra costs.

Anyway, we all know now!
Last edited by Slovett on Fri May 03, 2024 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

it may be non-compliant 9with a non-mandatory Standard); but there's no way it can be called unsafe.
In fact ESR 25 says that as long as it complies with the cited version it is electrically safe!

Clearly Worksafe has at least one idiot in it's employ.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
Slovett (Fri May 03, 2024 10:26 am)
Rating: 16.67%