Tips on hiring apprentice

greesleeve
Answers: 0
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Tips on hiring apprentice

Post by greesleeve »

Well finally going to give back and train an apprentice. Got a keen young fella who wants to come on board. Seems two options for training, ETCO or Skills, anyone used either/recommendations. It was a long time ago I did my apprenticeship, we are talking log books :)

Thanks.
BenAlchin
Answers: 0
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Tips on hiring apprentice

Post by BenAlchin »

Hi there,

I'm looking to become an apprentice myself, so I've been doing a fair bit of research in this area!

So if you have someone in mind already, Etco aren't the way to go (they're useless anyway, in my opinion and from what I've read). You'll need to get in touch with Skills and set up a training agreement which they will help manage to ensure your apprentice learns everything he needs.

Etco make themselves a list of apprentices and employers and match them up as they see fit, so you won't be having the fella you have in mind right now.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Tips on hiring apprentice

Post by AlecK »

ETCo don't just make a list; they actually employ the apprentices and then hire them out to host companies for on-site training.

Skills is - for a small while longer - the industry training organisation; and all trainees / apprentices need to be arranged with them;
regardless whether part of a group employment scheme such as ETCo, or directly employed.

Any trainee also needs off-site training, and ETCo offer this for directly-employed apprentices as well as their own trainees.
In some areas polytech is still an option for this