PSOA questions

Nathan
Answers: 0
Been thanked: 0

PSOA questions

Post by Nathan »

I saw this comment on another thread: "greater than 3 socket outlet an overcurrent protection device rating can not exceed the max rating of the supply lead plug is required;" which I find kind of interesting as I came across a 6 outlet PSOA a while back that had 2 x 10amp type D MCB, each feeding 3 x 10 amp outlets and the whole unit was supplied via a 10 amp plug.
When questioned the company that made it said that it complies with all current standards including 3012, they have a SDoc to prove it and they have done a lot of testing and spent a lot of money on it so end of subject.
The nameplate on the unit said it was rated at 10amps, and everything I could find in the standards basically said that as long as the plug matches the nameplate its good.

Im wondering what I have missed, unless there is a standard I cannot access that says that the nameplate must equal the maximum current draw?

The second question is regarding a PSOA I saw at the wholesalers earlier this week, there was nothing I could see on the outlets to show what make etc they are, so without being able to look up the specs on them would there be a easy way to ensure they are auto switching outlets when asked to test/tag the units, or do you just assume that they are and that the unit complies.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: PSOA questions

Post by AlecK »

There's a lot of stuff available for sale that is inherently not fit for use and bordering on electrically unsafe.

Like other connector Standards, '3112" specifies the details for plugs , sockets, connectors, etc so that they all match.
In fact cord connectors for our three-pin, flat-pin LV are specified in a separate Standard.
And "3112" covers more than just 3-pin flat pin 230 V; it also includes ELV 2-pin flat pin '
Point being, a claim of compliance with "3112" only really tells you that normal plugs will be compatible.

And that's all an SDoC is: a claim of compliance; but in a particular mandated format that the issuer of a CoC is allowed to rely on.
(Not that one of these would be covered by any CoC)
An SDoC doesn't "prove" compliance; though it must include info that leads to the lab tests that do prove it.

For sockets; "3112" doesn't require switching - and it doesn't get into much detail about what types of switch can be used if a switch is built in.

EPODs have their own Standard, "3105"; which I suspect will be where the alleged requirement for overload protection for more 3 or more outlets is found.
2 outlets is typically either a double adaptor or a tapon plug.

Ext cords also have their own Standard.

PSOAs are different again; being defined in "3012" [1.4.17 of 2019 edition]; and more requirements are set in clause 2.6.10 .
That definition includes a requirement that each socket outlet on the PSIA must have an individual switch

"3012" forbids use of EPODs on construction sites; but PSOAs are allowed.

And there's another similar unit around, called an "outlet box; defined in "3001" for supply to tents etc in caravan parks, and in "3002" for use at events sites.

Plus Assemblies for Constructuion sites (ACS) , again defined in "3012" - but which are also called Cascadable reticulation units (CRU) in "3002"
In fact next "3002" will include an entire Appendix explaining all these various sorts of portable distribution equipment .

--------
for Q1; what we know is it has 2 sets of 3 sockets, each protected by a 10 A overcurrent device; all supplied via a 10 A plug.
The claim of compliance with "3112" o tells us that the sockets are one of the types specified in that Standard.

The fact that 20 A could easily be drawn from it suggests to me that the unit doesn't comply with the EPOD Standard
(though I haven't checked - not sure I have a copy)

It certainly doesn't comply with several of the requirements for a PSOA - and therefore it isn't one.

If you're doing T&T for a building site; then start by reading the requirements within the Standard you're working to.
(You don't bneed the lastest edition; as thiese details haven't changed. The 2010 edition, as cited by ESRs, will be fine)
The first thing to look for is a permanent marking saying it complies with both AS/NZS 3190 and AS/NZS 3012; because without that marking, it isn't a PSOA. (3190 is the relevant RCD Standard)
And anything that doesn't have current limitation no greater than rating of plug isn't one either.
Same if it doesn't have an RCD (Class H)

I haven't yet found anything that would prohibit use of insertion-switches on a PSOA, but it wouldn't be a good idea as I don't believe such sockets
are robust enough for the rough use PSOAs get.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Thanks AlecK thats what I thought.

On its name plate they call it a "site box" and that it complies with 3190 and 3012.
Unfortunately when I raised it with the manufacturer their reply was basically it has a SDoC and we have spent lots of money getting it certified not bugger off.
I first saw it in the electrical wholesalers so I wonder how many people have brought them for construction sites assuming that they comply.
PawPatrol

Post by PawPatrol »

Nathan wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:03 pm
Thanks AlecK thats what I thought.

On its name plate they call it a "site box" and that it complies with 3190 and 3012.
Unfortunately when I raised it with the manufacturer their reply was basically it has a SDoC and we have spent lots of money getting it certified not bugger off.
I first saw it in the electrical wholesalers so I wonder how many people have brought them for construction sites assuming that they comply.
What brand was it?
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Im not sure if its the same model number but it was one of these http://qcelectrics.co.nz/products/power-site-box/

What brand was it?
[/quote]
PawPatrol

Post by PawPatrol »

Hi,

That is not a PSOA as it is non compliant.

It is likely deemed unsafe by the ESR (based solely on the link you provided):

Regulation 23(1)(g) of the ESR contains a unsafe provision based on a safety function that means an appliance cannot overload its plug.
The use of this 'adaptor' allows the connection of electrical equipment through a plug of lesser rating then the electrical equipment combined which therefore contravenes Regulation 23(1)(g).

Be interesting if Energy Safety audit this product to find out really what it is!
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

PawPatrol wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:21 pm
Hi,

That is not a PSOA as it is non compliant.

It is likely deemed unsafe by the ESR (based solely on the link you provided):

Regulation 23(1)(g) of the ESR contains a unsafe provision based on a safety function that means an appliance cannot overload its plug.
The use of this 'adaptor' allows the connection of electrical equipment through a plug of lesser rating then the electrical equipment combined which therefore contravenes Regulation 23(1)(g).

Be interesting if Energy Safety audit this product to find out really what it is!
I complained to the manufacturer 2 years ago about it, and after no joy complained to ES who never got back to me so its interesting to see its still for sale.
The manufactures reply pointed out that the rating on the nameplate is the same as the plug rating so therefore it complies with 23(1)(g).