Towel Rail

Sparky59
Answers: 0
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Towel Rail

Post by Sparky59 »

Hi
With the IP rating on the towel rail, does the IPX4 type marking need to be fixed as in a decal on the unit or is a SDOC separate ok
Normally I see them on wholesaler purchased items but with all sorts of stuff turning up from clients these theories seem to gave gone
Ta
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Towel Rail

Post by AlecK »

If installing and/or certifying PEW, it's up to you what you accept as evidence of compliance.
Sparky59
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Sparky59 »

Thanks for that, got the paperwork was just unsure as to whether the rail actually required a label
Ta
DougP
Answers: 3

Post by DougP »

I'm pretty sure that every appliance must have a label stating the rated voltage and power consumption at minimum. It should also have markings for any other rating that are applicable, like double insulation, or IP rating.
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

ESR 23 includes a requirement that the voltage be "appropriately and adequately" marked; else it's electrically unsafe.
Anything else would be covered by relevant product standard.

Point being it's not our job to check this stuff.
If it's a DMRA, then there will be an SDoC that states what Standard(s) it complies with, and most of those Standards are listed in Schedule 4.
As installers / certifiers, we don't even have to sight the SDoC.
But if we do, we are entitled to rely on it.

So while I would expect IP ratng to be in the appliance, I wouldn't refuse to install if it was only on the paperwork.
PawPatrol

Post by PawPatrol »

AlecK wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:45 pm
ESR 23 includes a requirement that the voltage be "appropriately and adequately" marked; else it's electrically unsafe.
Anything else would be covered by relevant product standard.

Point being it's not our job to check this stuff.
If it's a DMRA, then there will be an SDoC that states what Standard(s) it complies with, and most of those Standards are listed in Schedule 4.
As installers / certifiers, we don't even have to sight the SDoC.
But if we do, we are entitled to rely on it.

So while I would expect IP ratng to be in the appliance, I wouldn't refuse to install if it was only on the paperwork.
Your right about the ip rating, but if you install somethi g that is deemed to be unsafe, you are liable for it, SDOC or no SDOC.
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

If the item has an SDoC, we can rely on the SDoC [ESR 83(3A)]
An SDoC must include what Standard(s) the product complies with.
If it turns out that it doesn't comply - IP rating, labelling, or anything else - that's not a problem for us as long as we're acting "in good faith".