Shower Dome

Nathan
Been thanked: 0

Shower Dome

Post by Nathan »

Hi there
I have a customer that wants a power point next to the shower, I was hoping that them having a shower dome would allow me to do that, however the way the standards are written it doesnt look like a shower dome makes a difference to the zones.

6.2.2.1 (c) (iv) Zone 1 is limited by the floor and a horizontal plane 2.25m above the floor.
(d) (i) zone 2 starts at the vertical plane limiting Zone 1

I dont see anything that reduces the 2.25mtr height by installing a barrier (eg a shower dome) or is that covered at the top of the clause by the barriers comment in 6.2.1 although everything mentioned in there appears to be vertical barriers and not horizontal.
There is also a ceiling comment in 6.2.1 however that appears to be for the entire bathroom and not just the shower

Any ideas if I have missed anything regarding the shower dome changing the zone?

Thanks
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Shower Dome

Post by AlecK »

6.2.1; para 4:
Barriers .. that provide effective protection against spraying water, may be used to limit the extent of a classified zone.
So as long as that dome is fixed in place, Z1 doesn't extend above it
And no different really from using a door / curtain to limit the horizontal dimension of Z1.

But since the dome is only as wide as the cubicle, it can't affect the height of Z2
(which I suspect us where you want your socket)
Z2 will still be full (2.25 m) height.
Which may be because no-one considered the concept of a barrier limiting height of Z1; let alone possible flow-on effects.
But we also can't expect the rules to cater for every possible config.

Note the space above Z1 (if any) doesn't become z2, it's unzoned.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
Nathan (Tue Apr 27, 2021 7:19 pm)
Rating: 16.67%
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Thanks AlecK

When it was first mentioned to me my first thought was that having a shower dome would make it a full height barrier and cancel out zone 2 (its far enough away from the shower door) however reading the words in 3000 tonight and your reply confirms thats not the case.
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

I should modify my statement WRT space above dome; and say it will be un-zoned in most cases.
I can't think of a real-world scenario where any zone would extend into it; but never say never.

And it's certainly un-zoned for a fully-enclosed shower with door & dome; because that represents barriers all round that limit Z1 to the interior;
and Z2 starts at the "vertical plane" limiting Z1, so can't come within that.
In fact, in my view there is no Z2 for shower in this case (assuming there's a door / curtain to the shower cubicle entrance)

Important to note that it's the words that set the rules; and the Figs only illustrate the rules.
They don't represent all possible scenarios .
EG in 2007+A1+A2 there's no ceiling-mounted shower inlet, which are now very fashionable.

Another issue is the fancy modern platform-style "basins" for hand-washing.
There's no interior, so no Z0.
And some claim that because they don't contain water - it just flows off the edge(s) - they can't even be called a "fixed water container".
That would mean no zones at all; which is just silly 'cos the splash risk is certainly no less.

And unfortunately some of the Figs illustrating barriers are not right.
In fact, I believe none of the 'barrier" plan views are 100% right.

Wet Zones work on the basis of "string measurement".
You take a bit of string the length of the Zone dimension, hold one end at commencement of zone, and the Zone extends to anywhere the other end can reach (horizontally).
Unless you come to a barrier; in which case that's as far as you can go in that direction.
On the other side of the barrier, there's nothing;
unless the string is not obstructed in some direction - eg one open side of shower - in which case the string wraps around the end of the barrier and can then reach back along the other side of the barrier (still horizontally).
Using "string measurement"; the limit of Zone is always a series of circular arcs,
with the radius set at however much of the string extends past the barrier.
There can't be any "step" in the plan view.

For shower Z1, the string starts at fixed water connection and - assuming no barriers - is 1.2 m long;
making a cylinder-shaped Z1 that's 2.4 m across.
Then Z2 is a tube shape outside that for another 0.6 m. and then Z3 for another 2.4 m.
So if the room is big enough - or you are outdoors - the full extent of the Zones is a radius of 4.2 m (diameter 8.4 m). Absolutely huge.

So there's almost always limitation of at least some Zones by barriers, even if it's only the walls & ceiling of the room.
Given that 6.2.1 says that anything that protects against spraying water can be a barrier, even a curtain;
it follows that a shower cubicle that has walls and a door making it fully enclosed limits Z1 to the interior.
It's assumed that people will close the door / curtain.

When you have any form of barrier;it stops not just the Zone you're in, but any further Zones in that direction.
Except for the wrap-around effect at the end of a barrier; you only get to Z2, let alone Z3, if you haven't yet come to a barrier.
Which is why there's no Z2 or Z3 on the other side of the bathroom walls, in other rooms or outside the building.
Unless there's no door on the room, creating wrap-around at the doorway.

Provided they are at least as high as the fixed plumbing connection; all barriers are equal.
A shower partition is as good as a room wall; and a shower door has the same effect; and so does a curtain. Or a dome.
Logically; if there's no Z2 on the other side of the wall of the room, then there's no Z2 on the outside of the shower cubicle either.
Including outside the door.
Nathan

Post by Nathan »

Thanks Aleck, very helpful