Socket outlets and being below 300mm

JamieP
Answers: 0

Socket outlets and being below 300mm

Post by JamieP »

Got into a discussion the other day and found it very interesting so I'm curious about what side people take in this

Basis there was a socket outlet pictured outside, lower than 300mm from ground

Many people said this was not permitted

I believed it was fine, as although outside could get wet I believed the 300mm relates to being in a classified zone of a damp situation which I believe outside is not and is not mentioned in section 6

I received a comment that said "6.2.4.2 Socket-outlets
Socket-outlets shall not be installed within 0.3 m of the floor of a bathroom,
laundry or other similar location where the floor is likely to become wet." and highlighted the final section of this specifically and was told that the 0.3m rule is not related to a zone but "floor of a bathroom,
laundry or other similar location where the floor is likely to become wet."

This was followed by someone else citing the similar clause that said "6.3.4.3 Socket-outlets
Socket-outlets shall not be installed within 0.3 m of any floor or any other
horizontal surface in any location where the floor or surface is likely to
become wet." which is basically the same but in the following section, they agreed between them more so after this second comment believe they were further trying to push this requirement

I found this information interesting as I'd never noticed it so looked into it myself

My conclusion came with this comment
Screenshot_20200429-202705_Drive.jpg
"Although I think you've both got some good information I'm going to have to stick to my initial statement

6.1.2 as pictured specifically says that the requirements in section 6 apply to these areas highlighted

Section 6.2 is "BATHS, SHOWERS AND OTHER FIXED WATER CONTAINERS" and 6.2.4.2 does say what you've shown but I believe it still only directly relates to the primary purpose of section 6.2 and section 6 overall none of which apply to outside and I believe the same applies to 6.3.4.3 as above and being related to the requirements of 6.3 "SWIMMING POOLS, PADDLING POOLS AND SPA POOLS OR
TUBS"

I believe if they wanted this height to apply outside they would have been much more specific about it

Good discussion thought, curious to hear your thoughts" *Note: this was on an Aussie page so 2018 was being referred too (I believe 2007 says the same things though)*

What does everyone think in regards to this? Keen on some opinions and further input
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Socket outlets and being below 300mm

Post by AlecK »

Neither of these clauses applies outside the relevant areas. The while of 6.2 relates only to the areas described in 6.2.1; and similarly the whole of 6.3 applies onlu in the areas described in 6.3.1.
You can't legitimately apply any of these clauses universally, eg to all outdoor areas.

While we all know (most) outdoor areas may be rained on (or hosed); there are no Zones specified for outdoor areas 9as such) in Section 6.
So the general requirements of 6.1 do apply, but not the specific requirements for the specified Zones set in 6.2 to 6.7.
JamieP
Answers: 0

Re: Socket outlets and being below 300mm

Post by JamieP »

That is exactly what I thought but was just curious of opinions, my belief is for outside
4.1.3 applies and equipment just needs to be selected suitable for environment