Earth stake directly into concrete

BenAlchin
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Earth stake directly into concrete

Post by BenAlchin »

Hi folks,

Looking for advice here - my boss tells me that an earth stake directly into concrete is non-compliant (residential), but looking at the rules I'm seeing '5.3.6.4 (a) This condition is deemed to be satifisfied by locating the electrode - (a) external to the building in ground that is exposed to the weather'
That reads to me as 'if it's outside and not under a roof it's compliant.'
Is that correct?

Thanks,
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Earth stake directly into concrete

Post by AlecK »

Can't read an explanatory / supportive Note and ignore the words of the actual requirement:
" effective contact with moist soil that is not subject to excessive drying out".

Also, item (a) of Note to Condition (a) includes the words "exposed to weather".
So if the ground in question has been paved over with concrete, the condition is not satisfied
The soil won't remain moist, and the electrode (as against the connection of MEC to it) isn't exposed to weather.

Unless we do something about it.
Like using one of the special earth electrode covered pits that are readily available.
Both types I know of allow some rain etc to penetrate around the lid, so helping keep the soil moist ;
and this counts as the electrode being "exposed to weather" enough to met condition (a)
They also meet condition (c) for access; and they provide protection for the MEC connection[5.5.1.2 (c).

No nasty stub sticking up to be tripped over / fallen onto.
A nice tidy solution all round.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post:
Mazdaman (Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:00 am)
Rating: 16.67%