5.6.2.6.4 Bonding Connector Connection Point (For Pools)

Slovett
Answers: 0

5.6.2.6.4 Bonding Connector Connection Point (For Pools)

Post by Slovett »

Hi,

I've got a mates Pool to wire up, (currently in construction) with a filled Cinder Block Structure. I'm going to bond a few of the Starter bars in the concrete footing of the pool that the Cinder Block will sit on, back to the connection point.

What do most people use as the bond connection point? - one of the grey Earth Pin Tobys with the hinged lid, installed close to the pool area?

Or is there something thats made specific for this purpose??

Thanks
DougP
Answers: 3

Re: 5.6.2.6.4 Bonding Connector Connection Point (For Pools)

Post by DougP »

It can just be an enclosure with an earth bar. Mounting it near the pool equipment power point(s).
There is a dedicated enclosure available (in Aust at least). But because the connection to the reinforcing doesn't need to be accessible, I wouldn't bother using anything like this.
https://www.conductorhub.com.au/
AlecK
Answers: 5

Post by AlecK »

Not true to say the pool structure bonding point doesn't need to be accessible.

When first introduced; the bonding point for the pool structure would have had to be accessible in many cases.
prior to that, bonding the pool structure wasn't a universal requirement; rather it was something that had to be done IF a "trigger" condition was met.
(Compare 5.6.2.6 of 3000: 2007 +A1.)

The problem with that was that if the condition wasn't triggered when the pool was new-built, no bonding point was provided;
then later on changes to other pool equipment often triggered the requirement to bond the pool structure - which could be difficult to do.

So A2 made it a requirement to provide a pool structure bonding point in all cases, regardless of wherther it was needed at time of construction;
so that bonding could be done later if / when required.

That's where NZ still sits; and 5.6.2.6.4 (a) clearly requires that the pool structure bonding point must be accessible.

Oz has moved on; with 2018 edition requiring not just this provision for bonding, but actual bonding of conductive pool structures in every case [5.6.2.6.3].
Even with the pool being bonded; it still makes sense to have the pool bonding point accessible so that new items added around the pool can be connected to that point instead of their bonding having to go back to pool switchboard . Which is why the rule still requires accessibility.
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

To be clear; Doug was correct in the sense that the actual connection of EBC to conductive pool structure doesn't have to remain accessible.
But there does have to be an accessible bonding point for things like fences, lights, diving boards, ladders, etc;
and putting that inside the pool pumproom makes little sense. It should be near the pool, so that as things are added or moved they can be easily connected to the pool bonding system
DougP
Answers: 3

Post by DougP »

the first paragraph in 5.6.2.6.4 isn't written clearly.
".. for the bonding connection to be made to the conductive parts of the pool structure"
Sounds like the connection point should be on the conductive parts of the pool structure. I don't think that was the intention.

The rewritten clause in 3000:2018 is much clearer. (5.6.2.6.3 in 2018 version)
AlecK

Post by AlecK »

Yes; sometimes it takes a few tries to et things right.
Slovett
Answers: 0

Post by Slovett »

Thanks again guys, I’ll keep the connection point within the pool area / garden for that very reason. Plans always change during the build. Cheers for the link as well, I’ll pass it on to my rep and see if they can find anything local

What I think I’ll end up doing is - connect bond cable onto starter bar in footing, then run it to pool equipment room switchboard, about 20m away. Leaving an uncut loop (probably in the Garden within the pool area) and cover with appropriate Toby for future use