Restricted Locations - 2.9.2.5 (c)

Slovett

Restricted Locations - 2.9.2.5 (c)

Post by Slovett »

Hi,

I have a question about 2.9.2.5 (c). - Restricted Locations of Switchboards (Cupboards). - When does a cupboard turn into a room? Is there a definition of the dimensions that equate to what a Cupboard is? I have a customer who is building a new house that wants his Main SwitchBoard in a Room, that some may define as a cupboard. The room will also house other Utilities like Heating Manifolds and A/V system hardware etc. The room / cupboard is big enough that there will be unimpeded space greater that 600mm around the Switch Board etc. It ticks all the boxes for 2.9.2.1 and 2.9.2.2. However, some people / inspectors may define it as a cupboard and therefore fail it when I come to liven the Installation. I just want to cover my ass, or have a rebuttal should the Inspector fail it

Thanks

EDIT - I’m guessing 2.9.2.5(c) is more referring to built-in cupboards like Kitchen cabinetry etc. where items will be stacked up in front of the switchboard, like dishes and linen??
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Restricted Locations - 2.9.2.5 (c)

Post by AlecK »

For terms used in a standard, ESR 4(2) governs definitions.
However neither "room" nor "cupboard" is defined in Act, or Regulations, or "3000"; or IEC60050.
That means normal dictionary definitions should apply; buit as you suggest this could be open to interpretation.

In my view, with more than 600 mm around the switchboard, and room for a person to be inside and close the door behind them; this should be regarded as a small room.

However the interpretation that matters most is yours.
An inspector cannot issue a "fail" RoI based on swbd location.
Installation of a switchboard is not high risk PEW.
Installation of mains and main earthing system is; and that includes conductor type, voltage drop, installation of wiring systems, etc.
But nothing in the relevant rules for work on mains or work on main earthing systems covers location of switchboard.
Which means that the only legitimate action by an inspector who disagrees about swbd location is to lodge a complaint to EWRB.

The other big thing is that you can choose the inspector; so always a good ides to discuss such matters in advance.
These users thanked the author AlecK for the post (total 2):
Slovett (Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:57 pm) • Mazdaman (Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:17 pm)
Rating: 33.33%
Slovett

Re: Restricted Locations - 2.9.2.5 (c)

Post by Slovett »

Thanks Again Alec - Your insight is always appreciated