Builders temp main switch /isolating switch

Dan L
Answers: 0

Builders temp main switch /isolating switch

Post by Dan L »

To me the wording in 3012 is open to interpretation.

To simplify my question

Does a main switch in a builders temp have to be readily accessible as per main switch requirements or just readily available as per isolating switch requirements?
AlecK
Answers: 5

Re: Builders temp main switch /isolating switch

Post by AlecK »

Not clear which words you're having trouble with.
But even at smallest (as for typical house-building site) it's an installation in it's own right, comprised of mains, main earthing system, switchboard, and one (or more) final subcircuits.
So the switchboard part is the MSB for the installation, and the isolating switch is the "main switch".

Compliance with "3012" is actually optional, due to the Standard being listed as a 'deemed to be safe' by ESR 25.
That said, after 6 months a Periodic Assessment is required under ESR 75; and "3012" is the benchmark for the PA.

But compliance with "3000" is mandatory, including 2.3.3.3 for location of main switch.

If you're worrying about 2.4.1; that clause is aimed more at larger sites that may have multiple switchboards.
For those sites, each DB is required to have an isolating switch for the incoming supply - which isn't a requirement of "3000" (in most cases).
Dan L
Answers: 0

Re: Builders temp main switch /isolating switch

Post by Dan L »

Suppose I was getting confused because it only said label isolator main switch and comply with requirements of isolator not of a main switch and just wanted to be sure

Thanks mate much appreciated